LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Introductions
Topic New Member
Total Views: 1299 - Total Replies: 5
Aug 23 2014, 3:57 pm - By countrywolf

HI Folks,

My wife and I have been Looking into the Fulltimer's life. We want this adventure as a new start. However, Why do I feel this hesitation... as if I am about to jump off a cliff wondering if the water below is shallow or not. Were staying with family at he moment and were determine to not go back to the rental scene. All of our stuff in storage and its been challenging figuring out how to get rid of stuff. I know many of you been there done that. Any advice or encouragement would be helpful.

Thanks

Aug 24 2014, 7:26 am - Replied by: RusticFemme

Hi Countrywolf :)

I'm right about the stage you are at, that whole excitement coupled with the feeling you're about to walk right off the edge into the unknown. I suppose that comes in some form or another with any dramatic life change, I've had a few of those, but this, going from a house to a small travel trailer is thrilling as well as scary.

I'm currently downsizing all of my stuff, coming to terms with the realities of what I really need versus what I do not need (like, do I really need to be dragging the same box of love letters and memorabilia from high school at 40 years old?).But of course there are other things, things that you accumulate when you have space: Furniture, art, clothes, appliances, etc. For me, the latter will be easier than the former, but it's all beginning to sound like a commercial “Everything must go!"

Hey, for what it's worth, you're not alone.
Wayfaring Stranger
Aug 30 2014, 4:03 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Big leaps always have that sense.. for me, it's a sign I'm on the right track :)  When I jump, I usually discover I either have wings, or an incredible support network I never knew existed. 

Best wishes.. you'll get there! :) 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Aug 30 2014, 4:44 pm - Replied by: countrywolf

Thanks for the encouragement. We are motivated to downsize and start fresh.
Sep 12 2014, 7:15 pm - Replied by: Trippinwithstanley

Not sure if I am the only one but I was so excited to hit the road and felt SOOO refreshed once we got rid of all our crap that I never felt scared or hesitant. I've always had the stance on life that you can do whatever you want and more importantly whatever makes you happy no matter what anyone else says. 

Society always has this hesitation for doing things out of the ordinary but it is the ones that like to push their boundaries that can find true happiness in life. I try to not think of things as 'now that I've decided to do this I always need to do this' rather thinking 'I'm going to do this until I don't like it anymore or I don't want to do it anymore". When you put yourself in that mindset it can make the hesitations about the 'radical life change' not seem so big. At least it works for me anyway. 

I hope this helps! And I really hope you and your wife find what it is you are looking for.  

Working on not working
Sep 21 2014, 1:03 am - Replied by: zennomads

When we were down sizing and getting rid of everything. My wife read somewhere to take a picture of those love letters, momentos, old concert t-shirts, things that tug on your heart strings. We had 25 years of crap that we had been draging around with us. We were sooooo releived to be done with it. Now if we buy something then we need to get rid of something.
Zen Nomads - Wanderers in search of enlightenment

*** NuRVers.com ***