Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Epiphany: It's Possible! (aka, Hello!)
Total Views: 2096 - Total Replies: 5
Feb 13 2014, 12:13 pm - By NirAntae

Hi!  My name is Jen, and my spouse, Jess, and I are beginning the process for getting on the road.  We have been trying to get moved cross-country (from the deep south to the pacific northwest) for some time, but the logistics (mainly, a job for my honey) was less than forthcoming.  While we were talking last week, I made a comment (for the hundredth time at least) to the effect of, 'Man, I wish we could just buy an RV and go.'  And we looked at each other and said, 'Well, why can't we?' 

It has been a dream of mine for most, if not all, of my adult life.  But it's always seemed far out of reach - there have always been reasons I couldn't.  Financial, mostly, or not wanting to miss my grandmother's last few years.  But she passed in November, and Jess should be able to find telecommute type work relatively easy - several leads were passed up because they couldn't fund or justify a move across the country to a more expensive area.  However... they should be enough to fund us on the road, especially if we get another income stream as well.  We've done the math and know how much we should need (basic costs and park/camp fees and fuel and food and loan payment for the RV, etc. etc.), and how much would be nice.

So, we've spent the last week and some-odd reading like crazy, looking at options, flopping back and forth between truck+trailer or motorhome and the pros and cons of each, financing options and how much we can afford, and on and on...  I'm sure most here can sympathize!

We've found at least one good local deal on a National Dolphin 5350 motorhome at a dealer, and we're going to check it out this weekend  (along with, of course, the rest of their stock, and probably a second dealer's stock as well).

We are planning to get and move into an RV as soon as we can - possibly even as soon as next week if the deal looks right and the financing works out. There is an RV park relatively nearby we can stay at until mobile income is secured, and then we can pull up the stakes and go. (Our current home is a month-to-month rental, and frankly aside from two extra rooms we never use, the 'facilities' look to be very comparable to most RVs XD )

Yeah, we're moving fast, jumping in with both feet... but I figure it's the best way to make sure it happens, ride the excitement before we have a chance to talk ourselves out of it.

It's certainly scary though!

Any advice or resources anyone can offer?  Most of what I'm finding is 'general' kinds of blogs about living on the road...  which, while great, is somewhat more expansive than what would be useful for us at the immediate moment ;)

Feb 15 2014, 12:13 am - Replied by: SnowGypsy

Welcome!  Sounds very exciting for you right now.  For the moment, my advice would be that when you shop for an RV, sleep on your decision.  Dealers can be very high pressure and there is enough RVs on the market that if one gets away because you don't rush into a decision, there are a dozen more just around the corner.  Shopping for an RV should have some element of fun and not leave you stressed out and drained and it can easily do that.  Good luck!
Feb 16 2014, 4:57 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Welcome!! I like your style - just ump in and go for it!!

I agree with SnowGypsy. Dealers can be way too pushy. They know it is an emotional buy, and they will do all they can to push you hard. Remember that you hold all the cards. Go slow, and never take that "last day for this price" crap. 

Post up if you have any specific questions, and good luck with the process!!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 17 2014, 7:41 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Greetings.. and welcome!

Yes, it is very possible. And many of us are blogging about it - from general life on the road, to details.

Here's some links to some of our content that might be helpful on your journey to figuring out some of the logistics:

15 indepth articles about logistics (mobile income sources, pets, healthcare, mail/domicile, etc.): http://www.technomadia.com/excuses

Mobile Internet Guides: http://www.technomadia.com/internet

Video inverviews with other RVers (many from this group):  http://www.technomadia.com/ramblings

Links to dozens of our full time RVing and working on the road blogs: http://www.technomadia.com/links

As far as shopping for your RV..  there's two general ways to go about it. Take your time and find the 'right' RV, or find what you can quickly and get out there. In both cases, after a year or so of travel you're likely to find that you want to switch it up anyway, because it's difficult to know upfront what really works for you.

But do agree if you go the dealer route, feel really good about the situation before signing on the dotted line. 

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

*** NuRVers.com ***