Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
DIY Campervan Conversion - plumbing help?
Total Views: 1270 - Total Replies: 2
Jul 05 2013, 8:31 pm - By benjammin

Hi, I'm an avid do-it-yourselfer and also a bit of a minimalist...  My goal is to convert a conversion van into a camper van that allows me to live simply yet functionally.  For example, I don't need hot water, but I do need a toilet.  What I need help with is knowing what parts go into installing a permanent toilet in this van...  Obviously I need the toilet itself, and I will probably also have a black water tank (unless I get a toilet that has its own holding tank), but I don't know what parts I will need between the toilet and the tank, and also from the tank to the outlet drain...  Do I need a trap below the toilet?  Or does the toilet waste flow directly down into the tank?  Do I need a special type of fitting when going through the floor of the van, or is it just a straight pipe through?  I assume this would be black PVC, or is there a special type of tubing used for the waste plumbing?

Does anybody know of a diagram or something that shows how a typical RV toilet plumbing system would be laid out?

I'm usually pretty good at figuring things out myself but when it comes to managing human waste I'd like to make sure I don't do something wrong and end up getting sick.  Hopefully somebody here has experience with DIY RV plumbing and can maybe give some pointers?

Cheers,
 - Ben
Jul 06 2013, 1:35 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Have you considered a composting toilet instead? It may be substantially easier to install, and has a lot of benefits for minamilist living...

Here's a great article the recently came out from some fellow RVers who just put theirs in...

Composting Toilet: What is it and Why you need one

As far as more traditional setups, sorry...  beyond my knowledgebase. I'm sure the great-Google can provide some answers tho.

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Jul 08 2013, 6:21 pm - Replied by: benjammin

Thanks for the info, I had heard of composting toilets but wasn't fully aware of what they do.  Considering my minimalist approach I think this sounds like a good option for me, especially if it doesn't cost too much (sounds like there are cheaper options if I can do some of the installation work myself...).  Thanks again!
LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog

*** NuRVers.com ***