FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Semi-Nomadic For Now...
Semi-Nomadic For Now...
Total Views: 1447 - Total Replies: 4
Feb 05 2013, 2:29 am - By MarkNPatrick

We found a TT...or, maybe it found us!

It's a 2013 PrimeTime Tracer 215Air. It's pretty basic; 24', Queen Bed, Kitchen, and batroom with stand-in shower. We decided to go with something new so we can be sure that everything is working in it. Dry weight is 3615#, so It's towable with our FJ.

Our plan is to start out semi-nomadic for the time being due to finances (we're working on getting debt free) and medical issues (we both have medicine we *have* to take every day). We'll be taking long trips, but return to our home base when we're done.

We found a really awesome RV park that has everything we're looking for, and even has an attatched flea/farmers market for getting fresh local fruits and veggies. There are planes that fly over constantly, which is awesome for Mark, since he loves airlpanes. We have free reighn over what to do with the yard portion of our lot, so we're going to add some plants and maybe a small koi pond.

We're both really excited.

Feb 05 2013, 10:10 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Yaaay! This is a great way to start out. And I agree that being debt free is vital to a life of freedom, so congrats!

We have a 24' fifth wheel, and love it. I think you picked out a good starter rig and your plan is great.

About towing with the FJ would be if you ever wanted to take it to higher elevations in the Rockies and such, I think your FJ might be underpowered. Just a guess though, take it for what it's worth.

Where is this awesome RV park? Sounds wonderful. 

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Feb 05 2013, 11:12 pm - Replied by: anatomist1

I found out the hard way that my trailer wasn't as towable as I'd hoped.  I thought a pickup with 5.3l v8 would make a 17' fiberglass egg trailer that weighs a lot less than 4,000lb fully loaded seem nonexistent, but not so.  I think the square lack of aerodynamics on the Bigfoot are largely to blame, but I only get about 10mpg, and any wind or substantial grade becomes a strain that keeps me to about 60mph tops - worse on mountain passes.  The Casita-type aerodynamic eggs must be much more towable, because some people tow them with v6 engines half my power without complaint.  However, with all the time I spend living in it, I'm glad I chose the Bigfoot for the extra internal room and ceiling height. 
Feb 06 2013, 2:06 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Congrats :)

However, don't assume that just because it's new - that everything will work. So many manufacturers leave the last 10-15% of the build for the dealer to sort out with warranty work.  We've owned two brand new rigs and one used - and had siimlar levels of problems to work out on both.  

So if you're going new, make sure you understand the warranty terms, where they can be performed and how quickly fixes will be turned around.  On our first rig - some warranty fixes would take up to 6 weeks and could only be done at the dealer we purchased at, which is compeltely unacceptable since we were living & traveling in it. We ended up considering the warranty worthless, and just self fixing all the mistakes made ourselves. 

Often, you can find a slightly used rig for much cheaper, where the previous owner has already gotten everything all fixed up and in working order.  

Also, anticipate that your new rig will depreciate rapidly once you drive it off the lot, which can make it difficult to sell or trade-in later if you decide another setup is more ideal for you. 

Anyway, don't mean to burst your excitement bubble - but did want to share some perspective.

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 07 2013, 10:14 pm - Replied by: anatomist1

I personally would not spend that kind of money on a stick-built trailer, unless it was an Airstream or Argosy.  Especially not new, as suggested, because of the depreciation, which is steeper than for automobiles.  You should be able to get a used one functionally equivalent and just about as durable - which is not very - for about 1/3rd the price of new.  The key is to make sure it has been sitting most of the time, no leaks, and hasn't been hauled alot, especially not on bumpy roads, because stick-built trailers rattle apart over time, and are prone to leaking... don't even get me started on slide-outs.

If you are going to invest tens of thousands, I say buy quality and durability.  My Bigfoot fiberglass trailer is 25 years old, still rock solid, and I have taken it on many roads that made me wonder whether I had lost my mind.  The only structural renovations it really needed were resealing windows and upgrading of the axle and wheels to modern size/style. The rest was mostly personalization and adaptation for full-timing. I got it for $6.5k and put about 9 more into it, plus lots of labor, but mostly because I wanted a real twin bed, real couch, and off-grid capabilities.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pindraak/sets/72157629969723784/ 

Fiberglass has far fewer seams to leak and doesn't weaken or loosen over time, because instead of being a box made from nailed or screwed together wood, it is essentially two boat hulls seamed together like a clam.  Eggs are inherently light weight, at least compared to the only comparable quality stick-built trailers: Airstream and Argosy.  Rarely will you see a stick-built trailer on the road that is 20+ yrs old, but you see eggs and Airstreams all the time.  

You could probably get a used 21 or 25 foot Bigfoot egg for 1/2 to 2/3rds what the trailer you mentioned goes for new.  You might want to try poking around these sites to investigate: 

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/ 

Support NuRVers.com Members!

*** NuRVers.com ***