LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum Making a Living
Topic E-Learning On The Road?
E-Learning On The Road?
Total Views: 1791 - Total Replies: 4
Jan 29 2013, 8:46 am - By MarkNPatrick

Looking ahead to when I am finished with the Navy and want to go on the road, I really want to take advantage of my GI Bill. With that in mind, I've been looking at various online degrees. Has anyone here done this? Not really sure what kind of program, but I did find one on digital cinematography that looks interesting... :/
1. I would do your research def. bc a degree now days is not what it used to be. trades are arising by BrendaMarkSmith
Jan 29 2013, 5:43 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Hey soldier, welcome and thanks for your service!

I personally have never taken university-level courses online but I can't see why it should be a problem. The only challenge I can see are bandwidth limitations using an air card but as long as you're within reach of cell towers you should have any problems going to class.

Good luck! When do you get out?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Jan 31 2013, 1:18 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Yes... going to school online is realistic while traveling. You might need to manage your bandwidth usage and favor spots with good WiFi if you choose one with lots of video elements. There's also lots of online professors & teachers who are traveling full time, so definitely their students can too!

Just be sure to select a reputable and accredited program, to make sure that the degree you put so much time into is worth something when you're done.

Here's a video interview we did with a fellow NuRVer who recently did an online program to get his certification that you might find useful:

Tacky Texans - Fruitiny

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 02 2013, 9:04 pm - Replied by: BrendaMarkSmith

So I would do your reseach definately. Trades are hot. Degrees are not as marketable as they used to be. Is this for a BS? Computers tchnology seems t be a good bet still if you are into that. Software developers, computer system analylists  according to Forbes. As for trades diesel mechanic is a good one to have.Good luck! I do not have experience with online degrees sorry but I have been researching careers for my step sons and daughter.
Feb 16 2013, 9:51 pm - Replied by: MichelleCRNA

I did my RN-BSN on-line (not while traveling however) & I would do it again in a heart beat. I found the classes highly interactive and productive. The only issue I would foresee is Internet connection. I have to usually lug around my printer/scanner & laptop to find a local where I can use the hotspot on my phone! Forget the campsites' 'high speed Internet'. This is doable though. As far as digital cinematography, well I have no idea. Will you be able to get a job with it? A question worth asking.....college ain't cheap
Three-O-andGo!
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***