Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
HOME/ONLINE SCHOOLING AND GETTING MAIL
Total Views: 1282 - Total Replies: 8
Jan 17 2013, 9:16 pm - By Anya

WE ARE PREPARING TO TRANSITION OUR LIVES TO BEING FULLL TIME RVERS, BUT STILL HAVNT FIGURED OUT MANY LAGISTIC TYPES OF DETAILS, SUCH AS, HOW DOES ONE RECIEVE MAIL, OR WHAT ARE THE BEST WAYS TO HOME SCHOOL OR UTILIZE VIRTUAL EDUCATIONAL SYSTEMS.....THOUGHT SOME VETERAN NOMADDERS MIGHT BE KIND OF ENOUGH TO SHARE SOME INSIGHT
PREPARING FOR THE SHIFT
Jan 17 2013, 10:58 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Welcome to NuRVers, Anya! Happy to have you with us :)

Mail is typically done by mail forwarders. Your permanent address goes to a service that will package up and send your mail to where you are. I use the Escapees mail service. They are a huge organization that caters to fulltime RVers. There are many others - your first decision is where to call "home". What state do you want to have as your domicile state. Things to take into consideration is tax and insurance rates, schooling rules, etc.

I am sure others will post up theirs, but here is a link to the Escapees -  http://escapees.com/NonMembers/Support.aspx  That page will show the benefits of joining the Escapees.

Lots of options. Lots of reading to do :)  Be sure to post up any specific questions you might have!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jan 18 2013, 2:56 pm - Replied by: Anya

Hi Kev
Thanks so much for getting right back on this, and the info is very helpful.  Meanwhhile, the research continous; and we work on selling/donating years of accumulated stuff, hobbies filling our house and garage.   Feels so liberating already.  Next is finding the realator to sell or rent our home, decide on our future "home state", (somewhere warmer) which also has the best online charter school for my hs aged daughter, and then the purchase of our our rv, move in and get rolling....sounds simple enough, right?

PREPARING FOR THE SHIFT
Jan 18 2013, 6:33 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

I second Kev's recommendation to look into joining Escapees. We were on the road for two years before we did, and I wish we had done it from the get-go, it would've made our life so much easier. The mail service has never, ever let us down, it's awesome, and the club is a terrific resource.

Congrats on deciding to make the leap to a simpler life, you're in for a fun ride! Thanks for joining us here.

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Jan 18 2013, 7:15 pm - Replied by: Anya

HI THERE LIVE-WORK-DREAM,
THANKS FOR THE INFO AND THE FRIENDLY WELCOME!
WHEN I GET CLOSER TO BEING READY I WILL DEFINATELY JOIN, (LOVE THE NAME-ESCAPEES)
MAYBE SOONER TO CHECK OUT THE RESOURCES-AS YOU MENTIONED
THANKS AGAIN
ANYA 

PREPARING FOR THE SHIFT
Jan 19 2013, 4:17 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Welcome Anya - you've found a great place to connect with fellow road adventurers!

We've written a series of posts about many of the logistics that you're asking about (except for schooling on the road, which we're not qualified to write about).  You can find it at http://www.technomadia.com/excuses .  Be sure to read our article on domicile & mail (http://www.technomadia.com/domicile) - which will help you ask the right questions when setting that stuff up.

And while I can't answer your questions specifically about schooling on the road, perhaps we can give you some guidance on setting up an internet system that will give you the best odds of getting online in your travels. Our huge post about this subject is at: http://www.technomadia.com/internet - and includes an hour long video chat did on the subject.  

Come back, ask questions... we all love to help get our tribe out on the road with us :)

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Jan 26 2013, 9:43 pm - Replied by: anatomist1

I picked St. Brendan's Isle over Escapees, but I can't remember why.  They just do mail, but I have had no problem with their service.

I can't see what would be different about home schooling in an RV than at home, and their are vast resources out there on it.  My concern would be getting the kids enough social time with other kids.  Homeschoolers usually have networks to set up group get-togethers, so the kids don't become socially stunted. 

Jan 26 2013, 11:36 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Families On The Road is a great resource to meet up with others that are doing the homeschool/unschool thing on the road. There are quite of few out there doing that very thing!

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 05 2013, 11:55 am - Replied by: kijosmith

Hi, not sure what your staus presently is, but for mail service we use American Home Base, it's 15.00usd. Havent had any problems, plus they offer a fulltime residence optionshould you need it for rv or vehicle registration. Its located in FL. which has no tax on such issues.

As an educator, I can tell you there are a wide choice of options depending on what you are looking for,age of individual, and web/technology access. For example ubuntu a linux opperating system has options for education software ranging from pre-school to graduate level and its all free:)

StarTrek Klingon NuRvers

Support a Site Member!

*** NuRVers.com ***