Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Hitting the road in November. No RV. No truck. No clue. Please help!
Total Views: 1022 - Total Replies: 4
Aug 08 2012, 2:15 am - By PaceAndKyeli

Hello, new friends we haven't met yet! (and Chris & Cherie, whom we have met already!)

We are two women our 30s with a teenage son (unschooled), spiritual edgewalker entrepreneurs, who have been ignoring the call to adventure for far too many years now, and are finally heeding the call.

We are hitting the road fulltime in November! We've just started learning about all things RV, and it's pretty overwhelming, but we're super excited! 

I'm quitting my day job at the end of September and then we'll both be self-employed, so I want to get an RV loan and a truck loan while I'm still employed, because I hear loan people like that. So that means we have 7 weeks  to trade in our car for a pickup truck and get an RV.

We've narrowed our options down to travel trailer or 5th wheel (because our son needs his own little nook), and we've figured out what we want in a floor plan, but that's as far as we've gotten. So can you help me out with any of these questions?

1. Get a truck first, then an RV? Or RV first, then truck? 

2. Tips on acquiring a used RV?

3. Tips on getting a good RV loan? 

Cheers and thanks in advance! Looking forward to getting to know you all!

-Pace (& Kyeli) 

Pace and Kyeli Smith
On the road since November 2012
We help edgewalkers live creative, fulfilling lives.
www.connection-revolution.com
Aug 08 2012, 2:47 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Hey congratulations on making the decision to experience life the way you want to! That's so cool.

You want to get your truck first. The kind of truck you can afford to get will determine the size/weight of your trailer/fifth wheel. I highly recommend getting a Dodge diesel for any kind of hauling, but I'm partial to them. We've had great luck with our 2500 RAM 4x4. And if you plan on going off the beaten path, 4x4 is mandatory.

My advice about RV loans is to avoid them. But I know that's not always possible, so when it's not, Escapees has great affiliations with RV loan companies, you may want to look into joining so that you can get a better deal on rates. 

What kind of work will you be doing from the road?

Hope we get to meet up with you soon! Good luck! 

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Aug 10 2012, 7:07 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Woo-hoo!!  Welcome guys, so glad to have you joined here to gain the experience of all these other awesome NuRVers!. Be sure to join the Facebook group as well, it's been much more actively lately than the forums. 

As far as truck or RV first. Well, one argument is that if you don't have the truck, you can't haul your new RV home on your own (but help is always possible).  If you're sure of the type/size/weight of the RV you want, then you're probably safe going ahead and shopping for your truck. Just make sure it is way more than adequate to tow your RV when it is fully loaded.  Be sure to factor in having the tanks full, your stuff, etc. - and leave some extra tow capacity in there too.  

And.. it'll probably be easier to store your truck in your neighborhood than the RV, so that could save you some RV storage costs. (If I recall correctly, you had some anti-RV ordinances on your street.. so you wouldn't be able to keep it at your house very long?)

Once you have your truck tho, you're kinda stuck with its tow limitations. So if you're not totally sure of your RV yet and what size/weight it'll be - you may be best waiting until you get that firmed up.  

When shopping for a used RV - inspect closely!  Look for signs of water damage, excessive wear and tear, learn how to read DOT codes on the tires to determine their age (if they're close to 5-6 years old, they'll need to be replaced real soon), join user forums of the brands/models you're considering to learn about what the common issues are, etc. 

Can't wait to have you guys on the road! 

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Aug 10 2012, 8:28 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Welcome to the site! Happy you found us :)

Great advice above. With a towable, the chicken or the egg is always a difficult one. Like what was mentioned, if you get a trailer first, then you can size your truck to that. If you get the truck first, you have to make sure to find an RV within those limitations. 

Since you are looking at used towables, I would suggest digging deep on the ones you are interested in and find the GVW of the trailer. That will tell you the max weight the trailer can weigh. Once you start seeing a pattern in the GVWs of the trailers you think will work for you, you can start deciding which truck will fit your needs. 

If you go to Edmunds.com, you can look up all models and years of trucks and get their tow ratings. Please do NOT take the RV salesman's word to the question "can my truck tow this?". The answer will always be yes. Do the research yourself on that one. Remember that you are goign to load up the trailer, but you can not put more stuff in it than the GVW allows. I recommend to everyone that they weigh their rigs at public scales periodically.

When you find a trailer that you love, ask the salesman if you can take it out for a spin, and go by a truck stop that has a CAT Scale. You can weigh the empty trailer, then subtract that number from the GVW to see how much stuff you can put in there. Don't trust a guess by the salesman. I have seen many posts from people that bought an RV, only to find out that they would be over weight once all their stuff was in there.

If you have friends with RVs, ask them what they like/don't like. If you can borrow one for a few weekends, that will help show what you can/can't live with. 

Excited for you! I know it seems like a lot of work to get started, and it is, but the payoff is enormous.

Good luck!

kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Aug 10 2012, 9:20 pm - Replied by: PaceAndKyeli

Woop woop! Thanks so much for your helpful feedback! We are currently researching which trucks can tow the types of RVs we're interested in, and we may go truck shopping this weekend!

Pace and Kyeli Smith
On the road since November 2012
We help edgewalkers live creative, fulfilling lives.
www.connection-revolution.com
http://www.passportamerica.com

*** NuRVers.com ***