Welcome Guest Login or Signup

New Posts | My Topics | Profile Forum | User Settings | Subscriptions
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum Making a Living
Topic Taxes on the Road
Post Reply
Apr 20 2013, 7:22 pm - Replied by: Dan

I've been searching the web for simple tax information on being a full-timer and running a business from your RV.  I understand the tax benefits of owning a small business, I owned a coffee service business and a janitorial business for 15 years, but I'm not sure how to go about deducting the RV.

Does being a full-timer make a difference?  What if you also own a towed vehicle...does that affect your ability to claim mileage on the RV?  If anyone knows of a good book that covers this kind of stuff, please share.

Apr 22 2013, 10:09 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Hi there - do not know of a book for that sort of thing although there is a tax preparer out there that has a lot of information on his website. He specializes in traveling nurses and that sort of thing. I am a CPA and full-time rver with quite a few clients who are full-timing as well. 

The thing you have to keep in mind is that there is a difference between your "tax home" and your residence. You can still claim the mileage you incur to drive to clients, but where that mileage "starts" is the tricky part. 

~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Apr 25 2013, 5:48 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Hey Dan,

DH and I have been self-employed since 1998 and 6 of those years have been on the road. There really isn't much difference tax-wise between how we handle our deductions now and when we had a stick-home/office. To be certain we're not raising any red flags, however, we work with a pro now and leave that up to him.


We think Debby is fabulous you should contact her. DH and I have been working with George Montgomery for a while and since he's a former full-timer we really feel comfortable with him too, he's at BusinessAndTaxPlanning.com.


What kind of business do you have?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Dec 06 2013, 10:57 pm - Replied by: tiresrme2001

I am retiring next year.  I had not realized that its not that easy to leave a state as home state.  Any suggestions on articles or books or ... to help with this process.  What if you own rental property you want to use as income?  How about a trust?


Thanks Wally 

Dec 06 2013, 11:36 pm - Replied by: BeBe

If you own real estate in the state you are thinking about leaving it will be very difficult to prove that is no longer your state of residence. You basically have to cut all ties with that state - new banking, new investments, insurance - everything. And some states are more difficult than others, even when you do cut all ties they try to find any reason at all to claim you.
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Dec 08 2013, 6:37 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Wally - check out the Escapees article on How to Become a Texan - PDF version here. It has a lot of good information on changing domicile to Texas, but can be applied to any of the other RV-friendly states.



I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Apr 19 2014, 8:05 pm - Replied by: Robertpatallas

Steve Pankratz is a full timer and has been doing taxes a long while,he is honest and can do it all online.


Working and full timing
Post Reply
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***