Welcome Guest Login or Signup

New Posts | My Topics | Profile Forum | User Settings | Subscriptions
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum Making a Living
Topic Taxes on the Road
Post Reply
Taxes on the Road
Total Views: 2983 - Total Replies: 17
Jun 25 2008, 6:25 am - By KevsKnight

Curious as to who people use for tax purposes while on the road. I know Michelle and Damien found someone that they have used and liked, but I have not had that luck yet. I found a website for a guy that specializes in mobile professionals, and will send him an email.

Any other suggestions?



1. I am a CPA! If you need help........ by BeBe
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 13 2009, 2:36 am - Replied by: Emmymau

I've always done my own taxes.  This is our first year on the road, and the first year that we're going with a CPA in our home state.  I can let you know how it works out, if you're interested.
1995 National RV Dolphin 533--the Incorrigible
1993 Ford Ranger--not yet named
Mushroom--the ship's cat

Feb 13 2009, 4:16 am - Replied by: Technomadia

I've always done my own taxes as well - which includes my personal and 3 companies I'm involved with. 

I am curious however..  for those that are living & working on the road, do you take any tax deductions for your RV and/or travel expenses?

 - Cherie

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 13 2009, 4:15 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Thanks for the responses. I have done mine some in the past as well, but I guess I have made things complicated in the last couple of years with The Change (going FT). Now I'm two years behind and running from the man. Shit.

Let me know what you think of your experience Emmy. I guess I am looking for someone who understands this lifestyle, and can take advantage of what we are doing properly. I am domiciled in Texas to save on state income tax - would love to see savings across the board!

Cherie - I have always been paranoid about doing the work deductions. All of the advice I have ever seen points towards red flags with the IRS. However, I have read where others take a portion of their MH as a write off on taxes, mileage cost if they have to be somewhere, etc. But, as with a stick house, I think you have to have a portion of the rig where only business is done, etc. Too much hassle for me.

Would love to hear of others experiences. Maybe I am just dealing with paranoid tax people or something. Always looking to send less of my hard-earned to people that spend it worse than I would!


I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Aug 30 2010, 6:37 pm - Replied by: SL1966

I've never done my own taxes due to the epic disaster I am with numbers. I'm not sure how to begin when dealing with filing multi-state income. I used H&R Block when I filed income tax for CA/MN, then MN/TX, and both times kind of costed me a fortune. I can't imagine how much it would cost if I'm working bit jobs and X amount of states.

Any advice or words of wisdom?

Sep 02 2010, 6:19 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Hi All - this is an area I know all about - I am a CPA!  And one of you...

I have been in the business for over 30 years and have worked with QuickBooks for 20+ years.  I prepare tax returns and financial statements for all entities.  

If you need some help, here is my contact information hope to see you on the road...

~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Sep 17 2010, 6:44 am - Replied by: margielundy

The IRS hates me, flags me, and torments me, personally and business-wise, and I feel the same about them.  So I'll probably take deductions just to tick them off.  I don't recommend following my lead with them though, it's just how I get my kicks.  Like I use red pen when they say not to and staple where they say not to. 
But if I do get any info about said deductions, I'll pass it on.  :)

Sep 18 2010, 12:15 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Skipper of Peace of Parsley (remember them from the Rally?), we're using him now and he's fab! He's a CPA with small biz experience.
Working and Living Our Dream Life
Apr 29 2011, 5:32 am - Replied by: Robin

Not sure if anyone is still watching this...but my question would be, if I say bye-bye to Californicato-i-ain't, then what is to hold me back from stating Nevada as my home state...in fact, how does one determine home state if they do not own property in any state and traveling around?  Is it by which state you spent the most days in?

Or which state you set up a mail forwarding in? (by the way, how DO  you handle mail...just depend on email?

Hmmm, interesting
Slab City Fulltime Resident - Robi
May 02 2011, 5:05 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Hi Robin,
Changing your residency from California is not the easiest thing to do. First do some research on the best states for full-timing residency. These seem to be South Dakota, Texas and Florida. Once you have picked the state then find a mail-forwarding service, there are tons out there especially in these 3 popular states. Many will go through your mail with you & you can tell them what to send & when. Some will fax you the important stuff & there are even some that will scan all your mail & you don't have to be sent anything. 

To leave California you must cut all ties - banks, attorneys, doctors, insurance companies, voting, professional societies, everything. CA does NOT like to lose it's residents and will do everything they can to prove you really still are one, so dot all of your i's & cross all of your t's!

Good luck!

~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

May 03 2011, 3:27 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Yup.. indeed.  To no longer be a CA resident, you need to fully cut all your ties there, and fully establish yourself elsewhere.   When Chris moved from CA to SD, he did just that.  Everything goes through our SD address with our mail forwarding agency there.  Insurance, driver's license, vehicle registration, etc. 

We're also super duper careful about conducing business in CA.  They're one of the most aggressive states about considering you a resident when you don't intend it, and can claim that all of your income for the year is subject to state income tax, even if you only worked a short bit in CA.   Basically, when in CA - be there as a visitor/tourist and limit the amount of time you spend there each year. 
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Post Reply

*** NuRVers.com ***