LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Comment Spammers?
Comment Spammers?
Total Views: 846 - Total Replies: 8
May 24 2012, 6:11 pm - By jonsisk

Having run message and bulletin boards since the Earth cooled, I am familiar with the war admins endure with Spam Bots.

I just received what I believe to be a comment here that demonstrates something I have not seen before - subliminal messages. Seriously.

In the absence of Admin contact info easily findable, I share this link to a screenshot of said spam for yours and the admin's pleasure:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/33ed082d-2b98-4cee-9779-a55721230f5c/1f96bc11c28e77ab376a2 24a5af1c416

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
May 25 2012, 3:53 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Thanks for the heads up! I couldn't access your link, but just nuked a bunch of spammers. Let me know if that got rid of the offender. If not, let me know the user name and I will check them out.

I appreciate the help in ridding the site of the Spammers!!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
May 25 2012, 12:23 pm - Replied by: jonsisk

That's odd. I tested that link yesterday and today it even fails for me.

Try this one instead. I really wanted you to see the spam. It's artful:

https://skitch.com/e-jonsisk/8hu4e/evernote-web

Cheers,

j. 

May 25 2012, 4:56 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Thanks Jon. I seem to delete those things all day long. I never really figured out what they get out of them - other than one more incoming link. Not for long though :)

Looks like the user got nuked, so hopefully the comment is gone.

Thanks!

kev

May 25 2012, 6:01 pm - Replied by: jonsisk

Backlinks are a major revenue source for link farmers.

They factor in to SEO and contribute to the Billion-dollar annual click fraud industry. 

I ran a PHP-based BB sometime ago and spent loads of time patching holes the Russion spambots used to auto-register and flood-post. Eventually, the PITA outweighed the passion for the board so I dev-nulled it. 

May 25 2012, 10:24 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

haha - I feel your pain on that one. I have a method for filtering IPs from various countries, but they seem to always find a way around. But, it gives me a chance to take out my aggressions on the bastards, so I don't mind a few slipping by periodically :)

The "haha" above was from your use of "dev-nulled". While I often use that term in my brain, I have not used it as a verb like that. I see that entering my vocab arsonal - especially when referring to ex-wives :)

--kev

May 26 2012, 1:27 am - Replied by: jonsisk

It's been over twenty since that I regularly used Unix and maybe 12 since I used Linux. We taught courses on it in the 80's and early 90's.

I occasionally shell out thru term on my Mac Book Pro and play with a few command line settings.

But I forgot the syntax for dev null so was just winging it.

If it works, great. Have at it.

You might even Kev null. But only advanced geeks might get it.

Cheers,

j.

C|NK
where C = Coffee, N=Nose, K=Keyboard
(nerd humor)  

May 26 2012, 1:28 am - Replied by: jonsisk

Darn. It filtered the pipe symbol between the N and K.
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***