Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum Making a Living
Topic How do you make a living on the road?
How do you make a living on the road?
Total Views: 3442 - Total Replies: 9
May 09 2012, 11:53 am - By wandrly

How is everyone out there making their living? I've posted a poll up on the site here: http://www.nurvers.com/account/submit/add-poll/id_40/

But I'd love to hear about how everyone does it. Web Design has been good to us, which is very much a non-location based position. What do the rest of y'all do? Writing, temporary jobs, bounty hunting? 

Wand'rly Magazine
May 10 2012, 2:45 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

In case you missed it, here's a video compilation from many of the NuRVers who were at the gathering 2 years ago - that addresses this very topic :)  

Ramblings: Tales from Nomads – How They Fund Their Travels (Compilation) 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

May 10 2012, 6:46 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

I fit into the "wandering computer geek" category! I do web development, specializing in small, purpose-built web database applications. I did this for many years before I realized that none of my clients ever really cared to see me, so I quickly transitioned into fulltiming. My clients know that I "work from home", and most know that my home location changes every month or so.

Be sure to check out the video posted above. You will see that while there are a number of nomadic geeks, there are quite a few people that make their living - or supplement - in very creative ways. 

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
May 11 2012, 9:37 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Your poll(s) are great. I cracked up at the making a living one, because if I could pick ALL of your answers I would have. Jim and I do numerous things to make a living, we don't limit ourselves and keep our options open. Since lots of people ask us how we fulltime "at our age" we wrote this Income, Anywhere ebook that describes what we do.  We're just Jack and Jane of all trades. In short we support ourselves through a little of everything we've got a good grasp on, including:

writingdesignwordpress multi-site network management
    marketing consultingproduct marketing for a wellness company
    small business coachingjewelry designworkampingand whatever else we can do for a buck!

In our early days on the road we realized that putting all of our eggs in one basket and starting one new business was a mistake, so we swore we would never do that again. We discovered that diversification in life is key to financial wellness. Our personal philosophy now is that the more income options someone has whether living this lifestyle or living in a stick house, the better. 

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Jun 05 2012, 12:19 am - Replied by: wandrly

Hey everyone, took me awhile to get back around to this as I've been busy with various other articles, but I'd love to interview ANYONE who's on the road making a living full time. I'll be checking out various individual websites from the video Chris & Cherie put together, but if you read this and you're interested, please do hit me up!
Wand'rly Magazine
Jun 05 2012, 8:10 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Sure.. you're welcome to interview us. us@technomadia.com
On the road since 2006 

Jun 08 2012, 1:09 pm - Replied by: wandrly

Great Chris & Cherie! I sent over an email, let me know if you have any questions about my questions. :)
Wand'rly Magazine
Aug 28 2012, 10:23 pm - Replied by: littlervsarah79

I am interested on different ideas on how to make a living while rving.  I wish that I were computer savy because I could go that route but I will keep researching on workcamping.
Feb 02 2013, 9:50 pm - Replied by: BrendaMarkSmith

I found this website and have been interested in it. http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/
Feb 04 2013, 5:23 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Welcome littlervsarah79...  there are lots of options for earning an income on the road, and not all of them require beng computer savvy. 

Here's an article on our blog that lists about 60 different ideas:

http://www.technomadia.com/jobs

Best wishes,

- Cherie 

On the road since 2006 

Remote Income E-book packed with Resources

*** NuRVers.com ***