LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic RV folks / tiny house folks?
RV folks / tiny house folks?
Total Views: 1844 - Total Replies: 5
May 06 2012, 4:31 pm - By ZenGrrrl

In addition to all the research I'm doing on RV living, I'm also interested in the idea of a tiny house (small house, microhouse) on wheels. Something like this: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/products/epu/. Tiny houses on wheels are, technically, nomadic homes just like RVs, but my question is about networking between the two "tribes." Is there any reason that all the kids on the playground might not get along?

Your comments appreciated!

The Z-Pack: Zen, Ziggy, & Zhara
LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog
May 06 2012, 9:26 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

i think there is already quite a bit of connection between the two lifestyles... I know we (and other RVers) have been featured a couple of times as being a tiny home on wheels amongst their popular blogs & journals.   And at least some media attention has featured both side by side. 

Here's one such example:

http://tinyhouseblog.com/tiny-house-concept/the-tiny-houses-of-black-rock-city/ 

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

May 07 2012, 4:03 pm - Replied by: ZenGrrrl

Wow -- yurts, vardos, toy haulers, RVs, tiny houses, and that mutant Neverwas Haul, all together. Thanks, Cherie!
The Z-Pack: Zen, Ziggy, & Zhara
Sep 02 2012, 11:54 pm - Replied by: AJ1

I love the tiny houses!  I have a large, LARGE dog and couldn't make that work, but I think they are great.  I noticed they don't seem to have water systems as much...so..a lot of water hauling.
Mar 01 2013, 1:16 am - Replied by: jgriesinger

I myself am currently working on a small school bus conversion, but will probably end up someday in some type of tiny house of modern design. I love both worlds!
Mar 04 2013, 5:24 am - Replied by: anatomist1

The big advantages of a tiny house in my view are insulation, and low cost.  I have looked at a number of them through online blog/features, and it seems like they can be insulated as well as a real house and made quite cheaply, because all the standard stuff is available cheap at big box stores.  I think I could probably make a small house for about half the price of renovating a huge old Airstream or Argosy, and it would be much more efficient.  Even relatively nicely insulated trailers and rv's are a joke compared to a contemporary house in terms of energy efficiency in the extremes of summer and winter.

The disadvantage compared to a trailer or rv is that it is not meant for travel, and simply can't be hauled around in the same way.  Even if you could afford to haul your small house everywhere, the road forces would rattle it to pieces in no time.  The weight of standard home materials and the joinery are not suitable for road wear and tear at all.  Trailers are made out of much lighter materials, use stronger fastners, and often rely on overall 3d geometry of structures for strength on a smaller scale.  

While I like tiny houses for the ingenuity, I think there is an idea afloat that I consider false economy.  Much larger houses that aren't much less efficient can be made in the same way DIY for only slightly more.  The real problem is land.  Most of the tiny house things I see online are taking place where somone else is paying a mortgage or rent and the tiny house people are freeloading on their land in order to get their great location. Whether it's a trailer, tiny house, or regular house, you have to have somewhere to put it that is conveniently near stuff people want to be near, and location costs money.   

*** NuRVers.com ***