LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic What do you do?
What do you do?
Total Views: 1588 - Total Replies: 5
Apr 03 2012, 11:06 pm - By TornRose

How do you avoid the bad storms? If you see a bad front heading toward you a day or two away do you pull up and move on or ride it out? 
Apr 04 2012, 2:34 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Good question. I guess my move is to be around areas that do NOT get that kind of weather :)  But, when it has rolled in, I usually just prepare the best I can. Bring everything in, pull in the slides, and make sure nothing can fly around in the wind.

This winter I had to evacuate my river spot 3 or 4 times because of heavy rain and the river swelling. I usually keep an eye on the river, but this year seemed to be worse because of last year's drought in Texas. 

However, that has been the only place I relocated for a storm - and it was just up the hill into another spot in the campground. Have not had to make a run for it yet. 

Yet.

Oh, and welcome to NuRVers!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Apr 04 2012, 2:51 am - Replied by: Technomadia

How bad of a storm are we talking here?  A hurricane impending?  Heck yeah, I'm outta there... I rode out enough of those living in Florida.  That's about the only kind that gives you enough prediction to plan around. 

A little thunder-boomer?  Nah.. I'll ride it out. The rain sounds awesome on the roof. I love a good storm. 

Anything a day or two out is hard to predict. A lot can change.  Unless it's a reported dangerous storm and evacuations are ordered, we stay put.  Put in the awnings, shut the windows, take down the outside chairs if a storm is predicted that day.  

We have however riden out of town a couple hours in advance of a front with fatal tornados before.  

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Apr 04 2012, 2:56 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Just dodged the torndoes in North Texas. We saw/felt the crazy winds coming yesterday while headed north up the Panhandle, toward Lubbock. Decided it was better to pull over and find a safe place to stop rather than keep watching our fuel gauge drop because of the headwinds, so we located a free city park with full hookups. Waiting it out isn't so bad sometimes! 

That's one of the best parts about being on the road; you aren't on vacation and usually aren't under any deadlines to be "home."  

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Apr 04 2012, 3:14 am - Replied by: TornRose

LiveWorkDream that pretty much answers the reason I asked the question, I had cnn on and saw the front coming for the last 2 days and was thinking "what do we do" cut and run on the slighest wind or batten down the hatches.

Apr 05 2012, 3:57 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

You'll find that when you're on the road, weather plays into your decisions about where you go. Your ability to decide on the fly gets tested and soon you become better and better at it. It doesn't happen a lot, but it is a reailty.

Like a lot of folks, we've dodged tornadoes, snow, wind, you name it. The beauty is that you can leave, unlike folks who are stuck where they are or have to evacuate with a zillion other people. I always feel so bad when I see that on the news.

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Remote Income E-book packed with Resources

*** NuRVers.com ***