FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Places To Go
Topic High Energy Trips?
High Energy Trips?
Total Views: 1983 - Total Replies: 4
Feb 11 2012, 12:10 am - By Griffweegus

Hi Guys,

I am trying to plan 2 trips. The first on is from New Orleans to South Padre for 2-3 weeks. I have searched the internet for awesome RV spots and all I seem to come up with are trips for retirees. My wife and I are so not that. We are highly active - hiking, partying like rock stars, music fests, WW Rafting, fishing, mountain biking, wakeboarding etc.. Do you have any ideas of "Must See / Must do's"?

Our other trip is from Ohio to Las Vegas for a work convention. We are gonna travel around the Southwest for 6-8 weeks. We have never taken our RV west of the Mississippi. Do you have any reccomendations of routes and stops we shouldnt miss? 

If you have any reccomendations or resources to help us research I would really appriciate it. Of course we love camping and sight seeing but we will go crazy without highly active stuff to do. Its really hard to find stuff to do and places to stay if your under 65;)

Feb 11 2012, 1:56 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Unless you are traveling and parking next to peers.. the trick is viewing your campground/RV Park as just a base, not the destination itself.   Pick the places you want to be for your various interests, park your rig the closest you can to the location, and go find your nightlife/hiking/adventures.  For instance, staying at French Quarter RV Resort in NOLA is a great way to be in walking distance to the FQ. 

State and National parks are more likely to be in locations with awesome outdoor activities... so favor those to 'RV Parks'.   For your wild side, stick to cities that appeal to you. NOLA, Austin, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, Denver and other larger cities all have active communities and nightlife.  Colorado is full of breweries and beautiful scenary and hiking/white water rafting, etc.  Utah is spectacular for hiking, rock climbing, photography, rafting and Jeeping.  Look for events along your route/time line to attend.  Plan your travels around your interests and the things you want to do.  

For your internet research.. start first with general travel advice and destinations to learn what is availble along your route, not focusing on RVing.  Then, when you hone in what you want to see & do, research what your RV parking options are in the area.

You'll soon find that you are overhwhelmed with options.  

Best wishes.. and have fun!

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 11 2012, 2:03 pm - Replied by: blars

From what I've heard, Burning Man qualifys as high energy.  As for music and other festivals, research what interests you, there are some that have RV parking at the venue. 
Feb 23 2012, 10:32 am - Replied by: Griffweegus

Thanks a bunch for the input! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. I have started planning around places we want to see and then looking for rv parks close to them. That seems to be working well! Our trip out west is coming together well. I am sure we are gonna miss a bunch of places but that is a good excuse to plan the next trip! Burning Man looks awesome. As does the Suwannee music festival. We need to figure out a website/ forum for non-traditional spots to boondock. We found awesome space for gasparilla fest which was great and right in the middle of everything. So much fun! I am working on lot space for KY derby right now. We love it when we find those spots that are cheap and right in the middle of it. Thanks again!
Mar 02 2012, 1:05 am - Replied by: zennomads

Suwannee music festival is an amazing event. The headliners a good but the real fun is the barn jam sessions with all the old timers that have been coming to the event forever. So much talent and it is a beutiful spot to camp. The same venue has Magnolia fest sometime in October also a great show.

There is so much to do and see. Have fun and drive safe.

Zen Nomads - Wanderers in search of enlightenment

Support a Site Member!

*** NuRVers.com ***