LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Newbie here from NY
Newbie here from NY
Total Views: 1738 - Total Replies: 9
Nov 18 2011, 12:52 am - By d0n

Hi people. I'm Don. 44 years old from Maine but living in upstate NY since 1990.

Cool website. I always wonder where the younger generation of RVers hangs out online and in person. It's kind of weird and a little depressing being 20+ years younger than almost every RVer I come across.

Anyway... rather than type out my life story, here's my new blog if you'd like to check it out.

CYA out there!

http://rvtalk.blogspot.com/
1. welcome home Don by slow_n_ez
Nov 18 2011, 3:23 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Hi Don, welcome! Glad to see someone else join the ranks of the cool RV kids! Believe it or not there are lots of us out there. In fact we're camped next to two families, both are couples in their 30s.

Love that Westie! I had the exact same one back in the 90s. Boy do I miss that VW. 

Where are you headed to this winter?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Nov 18 2011, 8:23 am - Replied by: zennomads

Welcome Don,

You have found a great little group of travlers here.  Hope to see you out there.

Sam

Zen Nomads - Wanderers in search of enlightenment
Nov 18 2011, 6:19 pm - Replied by: d0n

Thanks for the welcome. The westfalias are fun but they lack many modern amenities that some us older folks wouldn't be without. I loved the westy as a teen but wouldn't want one now.  

I am just headed west basically. No real itinerary. The only place I NEED to be is in Vegas on 12/24 & 25. My partner is flying there to meet me. We'll spend xmas in Vegas and a few days riding around the area in the RV. I'd like to check out Quartzite with him. He'll have a week off from work. I can work from the RV so my schedule is a more free.

Neither he or I have ever been to the western states so this should prove to be fun! I did dip into Montana on my motorcycling trip to Alaska 20+ years ago. I was run off the road in Browning Mt. by a pickup truck FULL of indians. They thought it was a hilarious thing to do. I ended up in the ditch wondering what just happened. I went back up into canada after that. Too bad because I missed the "going to the sun road" by just a few miles! One of the 10 best roads in the country & I didn't even know it was there.

I hate flying and I hate the cold so I decided to take the RV on an extended winter trip out west this year. Once I get on the road, my blog should get a little more interesting. I like exploring urban decay. It has always fascinated me. I also sell a lot on eBay and have a good eye for value. There is money is others junk.

I think I can combine my interests and end up with a cross between "American Pickers, Antique Roadshow & Auction Hunters". We'll see.
Nov 19 2011, 2:32 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Hi Don!

Welcome!  Enjoyed browsing over your blog.  The Rialta you used to have reminds us of our month living in a borrowed 1984 Le'Sharo (its predecessor) earlier this year when we began our vintage bus hunt.  Umm.. yeah, it was pretty tight living quarters for sure!  

You'll have a blast out west - lots of urban decay to explore, and some of the most amazing scenary.  Enjoy your adventures.. and glad to meet you!

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Nov 19 2011, 3:06 pm - Replied by: blars

You might want to try the Rubber Tramps Rendezvous (RTR) Jan 10-24 in Quartzsite, AZ.

Nov 26 2011, 3:23 am - Replied by: d0n

thanks guys. I might be in that Az area during that time. I'll check it out if I am. Cherie I love your bus. The office is so cool. I remember the lasharo. Very mugh like the rilata for sure. That bathroom is tight!
Nov 29 2011, 1:21 pm - Replied by: slow_n_ez

Welcome home Don!
John
Dec 03 2011, 1:45 am - Replied by: d0n

Thanks slownez! I'm having fun getting ready for the trip.
Dec 04 2011, 5:21 pm - Replied by: BeBe

hey if you're in LV for Xmas - you must head southwest and meet us all for NYE in the slabs...talk about urban decay!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***