Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Opinions on Fema Travel Trailers?
Total Views: 2259 - Total Replies: 4
Oct 30 2011, 3:38 pm - By nomadgrrl

There are a lot of these, primarily the 06 cavalier models for sale for under $4000 which appears like a really good deal. But how well will these things hold up? I'd like something that will last several years without any huge problems. Any opinions?
Oct 30 2011, 11:23 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Scaaaaaaarrrry!

"Formaldehyde and Travel Trailers"

You can get someting far better for the same money without the risk of dying from formaldehyde asphyxiation. ;)

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Oct 31 2011, 1:39 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Most '06 era RVs are nearing the end of their 'low maintenance' life anyway (unless they are of exceptional high quality build - which these likely would not be).  So if you're looking for something that will last several years without huge problems - would recommend steering clear of these. 

I have a friend who worked for FEMA and oversaw the project to clean these trailers up a few years back. Based on what he told me, only a few of them were in decent shape - the rest pretty trashed (even unlived in ones).

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Oct 31 2011, 5:06 am - Replied by: nomadgrrl

Thanks for the insight!
Nov 03 2011, 7:26 pm - Replied by: bercher

While in Oklahoma City in 2010 we watched a guy doing remodel work on a couple of the FEMA trailers.  He would buy them cheap, strip out whatever wasn't working for him, put in the "new" updates and sell them.  Other than that, we have no real first hand knowledge of them.

Good luck with your search!

R&M 

Backpacking Europe in 2012!
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***