Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Into the Heartland: Any Suggestions for Road trip to Eureka Springs, AR?
Total Views: 1871 - Total Replies: 3
Oct 13 2011, 3:35 am - By LiveWorkDream

We're headed east to the little town of Eureka Springs next week. I keep hearing how artsy it is. When a redneck told me that "all those (insert air quotes here) "alternative lifestyle" (I mean GAY) people are all moving in," Jim and I said "that's it, we're there!" We can't wait to check it out.

Just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for kitschy roadside touris attractions, free places to stay, and great places to eat on the way out there. We plan on heading east toward Kansas City, then dropping down to Eureka Springs and ultimately to Gonzales, TX.

Yep, we'll be at Hill Shade until Christmas if anyone wants to come say "Hi!"

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Oct 13 2011, 4:01 am - Replied by: Technomadia

If you pass through the Amarillo area coming down, we love staying along Lake Meredith. There are several free campgrounds in the national rec area there, some waterfront (well, were waterfront when the lake was fuller).  The Fritch Fortress campground even has a free dump station and drinking water, as well as flush toilets - incredibly well maintained.   We were just there on our cross country journey - so gorgeous.  And for our nights there, we were the only ones there. 

Have a great adventure!

- Cherie 

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Oct 13 2011, 4:09 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Thanks guys. We thought about staying there last year, sounds like a good place to stay.
Working and Living Our Dream Life
Nov 05 2011, 1:10 am - Replied by: AdvantureTrek

Hi there.

We used to live in Tulsa, OK and played a lot in northwest Arkansas. Here's some of our favorites. Feel free to PM us if you need more info. 

This is a good time of year to travel. Winter weather will arrive around early to mid December.

Be aware that this is hunting season and that some hiking areas will be closed to hikers. 

Near Eureka Springs:

Camp at Lake Leatherwood. Favorite spots are at the far end of the campground. There's some loops of grass right next to the lake. At dawn and dusk, you get a bullfrog serenade. Good nearby activities: horseback riding, mountain biking, canoe/kayak/fish in the White River, SCUBA/swim/boat Beaver Lake.

Eureka Springs: Music festivals most weekends. Check town calendar. Food: Local Flavor Cafe, The Garden Bistro

Kansas City: BBQ. Jacks Stack has good reputation. The downtown is modeled after Seville, Spain and is fun to walk around. Lydias is good Italian; the chef used to do a PBS cooking show.

If you pass through the Jasper area -- Beautiful palces to camp include Lost Valley (Has 2 or 3 RV spots. All spots border a creek. Short hike takes you to a waterfall inside a cave.); Horseshoe Canyon Ranch (If your vehicle is nimble. Open valley ringed by cliffs. Feels like Switzerland. Hiking, world class rock climibng and bouldering, watch the goats and horses); campgrounds along Buffalo River. 

Support NuRVers.com Members!

*** NuRVers.com ***