Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Anyone know any "sweet" spots around Tampa Bay for winter?
Total Views: 1737 - Total Replies: 7
Aug 05 2011, 1:50 am - By travelfables

I like the south-Tampa area, don't really know why yet... RVed around there at least 3 or 4 times and had a great time every-time. It may be the combo of the beautiful living-bay, while a taste of city life is just a wee ride away. I would love to do 3+ months (or so) in the winter down there, but my resources often show all the great spots I find in the summer are eaten-up before I even think about it after October. Anyone know of any goodies that are not kosher with rich snow-birds?  and would you share?

So here are some things: I'm ok with camp-grounds in the middle of the woods (rednecks and/or hippies in nature don't  scare me): (I'm Brer-rabbit + briar-patch), I DO want to be close to access for fun spots on the water (bay or river) and a spot not too far from in-town antics (less than 40 miles.).. I know its a long-shot... otherwise I would have found this magic-spot by now. All clues appreciated:...

Aug 08 2011, 1:07 am - Replied by: BeBe

DITTO DITTO DITTO!!

Hubby Bill's mom lives in Tampa and we'd love to be close by...tell, tell!

~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Aug 08 2011, 1:26 pm - Replied by: DigitalOne

I'm staying at a place called Frog Creek. It's a nice, private owned park. It definately gets full in the winter though. I've been for about 6 months now and will be here for another 6 at this point. The owners have grown quite fond of me as well. Maybe if I can reference enough people we can all get a deal over the winter.  

http://www.frogcreek.us.com/ 

Aug 08 2011, 3:38 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

DigitalOne wrote:

I'm staying at a place called Frog Creek. It's a nice, private owned park. It definately gets full in the winter though. I've been for about 6 months now and will be here for another 6 at this point. The owners have grown quite fond of me as well. Maybe if I can reference enough people we can all get a deal over the winter.  

http://www.frogcreek.us.com/ 

Nice looking park! I like that it is close to a lot of the action, but looks to be tucked away fairly well. That can be a real busy area - nice to have a little quiet at home :)

If we do make it out to Florida, that is one area we will go for sure, since we have friends in that area. We will look you up!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Nov 28 2011, 5:08 pm - Replied by: allabouttravel42

wow looks like a nice place.... pricy winter rates :( I guess that is what the norm is in Fla
Jun 20 2012, 1:29 am - Replied by: SilverSnail

Linger Lodge, in Bradenton. Maybe too far for you, but a good deal for those parts.
Sharon | 2012 20' Airstream Safari | 2010 Nissan Titan
Travel log: www.TheSilverSnail.com
Photography: www.TracesofPlaces.com
Graphic Design: www.BluecatMedia.com
Jun 25 2012, 3:06 am - Replied by: Trippinwithstanley

We didn't end up staying at Fort de Soto state park but we did visit and walked through the campground. It was beautiful and a place I could definitely spend a few months at if they allowed it (i think it is a two weeks on/off deal?) I did call about work camping. It's an unpaid volunteering job that requires 20 hours/week. Not sure what your situation is, but it could be useful.

Also about 2.5 hours north of Tampa is an amazing place called Cedar Key. We stayed for $450/mo. and it was perfect. We will defintely be back there this winter.
Working on not working
Jun 25 2012, 3:32 am - Replied by: travelfables

I've prowled around Cedar Key before, didn't stay in any of the campgrounds there though, just went for day adventures then drove onward. I saw some pics from that cedar key campground. It looked cool, and 450/mo is an great rate. I do want to explore somemore down there. I've visited several inland places in State Forests outside of Tampa (mostly boondocking central fl -state forest beauty spots), when I was hanging around that way waiting for a Jimmy Buffett concert, I also stayed at a country park on the bay for a bit in Ruskin, FL. Thanks for the other ideas and theworkcamping tip. Once in awhile workcamping spots will take someone that is not "a couple". I'll keep all these spots in mind when I go play down that way again.
LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog

*** NuRVers.com ***