Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Need suggestions for RV/Truck Insurance
Total Views: 1429 - Total Replies: 7
Jul 07 2011, 3:09 am - By rawfedweims

Hello all,

We are new to the forum.  I was not sure where to post this.

We just bought a 5th Wheel Trailer and a 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel.  I have gotten a few quotes and seems like Progressive will be the best option.  Has anyone had any experience with them?  Good?  Bad?  We will be fulltiming in about 2 years but hopefully sooner.  Just have to sell the house first.  

Does anyone have any experience with any other companies?  I have esurance for my other truck which we will be selling and we would stay with them but they do not insure trailers so we want to go with a company that will insure both.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I want to make sure we are covered well and won't have any issues.  I need to make a decision pretty quick on this.

Thank you and have a great and safe week!

Sincerely,
Snow and Anton

Safe travels,
Snow and Anton Aubel

3 year old Female Chesapeake Bay Retriever "Yepa" (Winter Princess)
5 year old Female Weimaraner-"Cheyenne"

2007 34' Cruiser RV Land Roamer 310QB 5th Wheel
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 4x4
Jul 07 2011, 3:53 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

We are using National Interstate for our fulltimer's coverage, as well as coverage on our Jeep. It has been a while since I have compared rates, but the last time I did, National Interstate was very competitive.

As far as service, these guys get my full recommendation. We are in the middle of a giant insurance hassle right now, and our assigned agent has been awesome. He has been great at pushing things along, and I feel like he is really on our team. Work has FINALLY started on our burnt motorhome, and I am happy to say that none of the delays were because of the insurance company. In fact, they are the ones pushing hard on all the outside forces to get things done. They truly know what "fulltimers" are all about.

Good luck!

kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jul 07 2011, 4:14 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

"Giant insurance hassle"....kev, that's the understatement of the year!

We have Progressive, they've been good to us but we've never had to file a claim. Make sure to get their fulltimer's insurance when you go fulltime (it's about $50 more a year for us, a 5er & Dodge) and the type of coverage that covers what you paid for the rig, not the depreciated amount if it gets totalled if you file a claim. They'll only cover the RV, not the truck, but it's worth it. Not too many insurance companies will do this.

Hope you guys get out on the road soon! What's your story? Scoop! Welcome!

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Jul 07 2011, 4:17 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

We're currently with Progressive, as they're one of the only companies that will insure bus conversions for full-timers.  We're trying very hard to get into anything else right now, as we've heard many horror stories about dealing with them.  We've heard of them showing up quick when a claim is filed, but then dragging their feet and undervaluing the rig and/or damage. The above of course is not from our personal experience, so you should take that with a grain of salt. 

I also don't like that they limit coverage for personal effects to only $1000 per item, which only half insures our most critical possessions (our laptops). And we've had to have our agent go to bat to remove barriers like a 50% penalty for being unmarried, and requiring owning a second vehicle with a motorhome. 

If it ends up with Progressive being our only choice, we'll live with it.. and just factor that into the risk we take with any geek upgrades we make, knowing they'll unlikely to be fully covered.  But we'd really really really rather be with a better company. 

So if you have other options, would recommend looking into them. 

- Cherie

PS. We've been with National Interstate and GMAC in the past with our truck/trailer setup. But have never had to file a claim, so really can't comment on them. 
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Jul 07 2011, 4:21 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

LiveWorkDream wrote:

We have Progressive, they've been good to us but we've never had to file a claim. Make sure to get their fulltimer's insurance when you go fulltime (it's about $50 more a year for us, a 5er & Dodge) and the type of coverage that covers what you paid for the rig, not the depreciated amount if it gets totalled if you file a claim. 

Just a heads up guys.. be sure to check your policy to see if you still have that. 

Apparently Progressive quietly removed 'Agreed  Upon Value' from all policies a year or so ago. Many customers are very upset about this, as they weren't notified and didn't find out until they went to file a claim.  It's one reason we want to not go with them, as they're ONLY doing 'Actual Cash Value' now, which will be assigned at the time of a claim (ie. the depreciated value). 

- Cherie

On the road since 2006 

Jul 07 2011, 5:01 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Technomadia wrote:

Just a heads up guys.. be sure to check your policy to see if you still have that. 

Apparently Progressive quietly removed 'Agreed  Upon Value' from all policies a year or so ago.

Well hey, glad you mentioned that, it's always good to confirm what's on your policy!

I did call right now and we do have the Agreed Value coverage, saw it on our latest declarations sheet (just renewed in April).

The rep I spoke to said that in the case of certain older vehicles & RVs, Agreed Value isn't available, but for newer ones it is. He said the company still offers Agreed Value to most customers.

Also not sure what you mean about the $1k max on personal items, we have $15k for stuff in our rig (plus our homeowner's ins. covers stuff in addition to that).

I guess what it comes down to is the coverages all depend on the type of RV that someone's getting a quote on.

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Jul 07 2011, 10:45 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

It's not $1k max overall.. it's $1k max PER ITEM.  So you have $15k in overall coverage, but it is limited to $1k per item.  If you have a laptop, for instance, worth $2000 - they would only reimburse you $1k if it was lost/damaged, etc.  

Good to hear the Agreed Value policy is still available to those in newer rigs. 
On the road since 2006 

Jul 08 2011, 4:32 am - Replied by: watsonswander

Progressive would only give me an agreed value policy on my 1999 Airstream. 

I can't imagine anything from the 90's is new anymore.
http://www.passportamerica.com

*** NuRVers.com ***