FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Campgrounds
Topic New Interface Feedback?
New Interface Feedback?
Total Views: 1820 - Total Replies: 4
May 12 2011, 6:48 pm - By hitek_homeless

Howdy,

As this is one of the more technically inclined RV forums, I wonder if you'd be inclined to give some feedback on the new navigation interface we've been tinkering with over at freecampsites.net.

Rather than a sales pitch, I'll just point you at the URL and let you muddle through: Beta Interface

We're planning to expand this interface and use it for at least one future site as well, so any comments you have on usability, quirks or just general look and feel would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

A couple of 30-sometings on an ultimate adventure.
May 13 2011, 12:09 am - Replied by: Robin

Nice search, thank you.  I think I like the map of the standard version, just easier for me to see and click on states (adding state two letter labels might be nice).  I'm over 50 so the Beta map is a little hard to narrow the click process.  I might like to see the co-ordinates listed again in the scroll list you have for certain areas  so that one could input several different cordinates in case one site is filled up (which might happen as more people discover this wonderful service?)

But I like it.
Slab City Fulltime Resident - Robi
May 13 2011, 3:25 am - Replied by: blars

i like being able to give a city, state and get stuff sorted by distance, crossing state borders.   i'd prefer the map to be bigger though.
May 13 2011, 3:29 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Overall.. love it!  When you're looking for a place to stay, state lines don't matter.. so the straight distance search is very nice.  Also love the ability to choose the type of site you're open to (public land, parking lot, etc. - thank you for expanding your database to include parking lots!). 

Definitely agree with above comments tho.. the map could use being larger. 

Did notice that the pop-ups on the map went into scroll mode for me, so would recommend sizing them a bit larger to avoid that. 

Any plans for a mobile app for this?  If not, open to discussing partnering on that?  Cuz wouldn't it be sweet to also overlay cell phone Coverage? maps on top to find a location with decent cell phone data coverage?

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

May 13 2011, 7:23 pm - Replied by: hitek_homeless

Thanks for all the feedback so far folks.

I think we can address the size issue without too much trouble. The current size is a compromise between usability and page speed. The google maps tiles can take a long time to load on our two tin cans and some string internet connection. Larger maps, of course use more tiles and take longer to load.

We can add a couple of different types of layouts and just let the user pick which style/size map they want to see. Actually, I have been working on a making a usable map that's extremely small already.

Robin, does it help navigating if I tell you that double clicking will zoom in and double clicking with the right mouse button will zoom out? Also, you can use the search box for almost any type of search. City, state, zipcode, gps coordinates. It's fairly robust.

Cherie, we do have some plans for mobile apps, but we're currently focusing on a web-centric approach rather than dedicated applications for each platform. That being said, I still love the Coverage? idea and I'm pretty sure we could figure out something mutually beneficial if you want to investigate options.

A couple of 30-sometings on an ultimate adventure.
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***