Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Lesson Learned. Tighten those connections!!! Everywhere!
Total Views: 1221 - Total Replies: 3
Apr 18 2011, 5:01 pm - By zennomads

Tracy and I have been boon-docking a lot since we have been on the road. The other day our generator started to surge rpm up and down. I didn't think much of it. Thought I might have to change the fuel filter or something. Later that night it did it again and then cut off. I restarted it and it was fine. Went to bed and woke up to the alarm going off on the inverter and no power. Genny wont start and the batteries are almost dead. Checked the generator out and everything looked fine. Checked the inverter and it looked fine. I happened to walk around the other side of the RV where my shore cable is as well as the transfer switch and smelled burnt plastic. I open up the compartment and sure enough I see my transfer switch with a burnt casing. I opened it up to see that a wire on the manufacturers side of the wiring block had come loose and shorted out. Apparently thousands of miles of vibration had caused the set screws in the wiring block to back out and loosen the wiring.

I shot of an email to IOTA the manufacturer of the transfer switch this morning with pics of the problem within minutes the Vice President of the company called me and was willing to ship me a replacement and pay for the repair as well as the couple nights I'll have to stay at a way to expensive KOA.

All in all, I consider ourselves pretty lucky that we came out with as little damage as we had. It could have resulted in a bad fire and even worse...

The lesson I learned was to go around and make sure all my electrical connections were tight. I found 5 set screws on the transfer switch loose. one wire on the generator wiring block loose and one in my battery compartment. This will become part of my monthly maintenance check.

Just wanted to share and hopefully prevent the same thing from happening to you all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zennomads/sets/72157626400893239/

1. Great tip! by Schelby
Zen Nomads - Wanderers in search of enlightenment
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
Apr 19 2011, 12:41 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Wow!   I am so glad everything is ok, Sam!  How scary.  And great reminder to do those regular maintenance checks. 

And I'm uber impressed with the customer service from IOTA you received. 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Apr 19 2011, 7:22 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Dude. That super sucks. It is a great reminder to everyone to check their stuff!

I had a similar situation in my main breaker box. Some of the neutral wires came loose in their buss and started heating up. Luckily, the A/C was cutting out and it forced me to look in there. Freaked out to see melted insulation. Not quite as bad as your mess, but it wasn't what I wanted to see!

We have a sink drain that likes to work itself loose periodically. I guess bumpin down the road is quite the stress tester!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Apr 19 2011, 3:30 pm - Replied by: BeBe

wow, Sam & Tracey - sooo glad it all ended well and thanks for the heads up, another thing to add to the list!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

*** NuRVers.com ***