LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Introductions
Topic Hi
Hi
Total Views: 1458 - Total Replies: 7
Apr 07 2011, 5:53 am - By roadbound

Hello, I'm here scoping out life as a fulltime RVr. I've been following Dave Ramsey's financial advice to pay off debt and save up for a different way of life, and I think the traveling life is it.

At 42, I was thinking that I'd give myself another 8 years to save up hard for retirement and then hit the road and work part time, but...I'm starting to think I'd be cheating myself out of 8 good years on the road. Maybe I can do both (retire to the road, and save for official retirement), so I'll read on and gather my courage.

Thanks for this site and your stories.

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
Apr 08 2011, 5:38 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Hey Roadbound, welcome! We're big Dave Ramsey followers too, and I swear if it wasn't for his advice we wouldn't be able to do what we do. You're definitely on the right track!

How much planning have you done and when do you think you'll do it?

Retire? What's that?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Apr 09 2011, 7:23 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

It's definitely possible to work and travel..  no reason to have to delay the life you want by 8 years.   If you can get rid of the day-to-day living expenses and defer them to your travel (living) expenses.. it's really not all that different of a budget. 

And yeah.. retirement?  Heh.. yeah. We're saving of course, but much prefer finding a balance of life now and not put it off for later. 

Best wishes!
 - Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Apr 10 2011, 3:33 am - Replied by: roadbound

LWD, nice to know some DR followers who are also making the traveling life happen. I sometimes volunteer for his live events when I need another dose of the baby steps. :)

So far, I've only done a preliminary budget comparison and it seems do-able with the sale of my home, but I need to take a more detailed look and figure out what my income options will be. I do app support virtually, and have been working toward a shift to software testing. If a satellite connection is solid enough, I may be able to do some of both on the road.

I'd like to pay off my small home, and I'm 1.5 to 2 years away. After that, there'd be nothing stopping me but cold feet. I remember having cold feet when I signed up for a mortgage too though, and it eventually passed, except for the lingering feeling of being owned by a bank!

As for retirement savings, if I can make enough to sustain a traveling life and also save in tax-advantaged options, then I could do this and not look back.

@Cherie, I checked out technomadia.com earlier and enjoyed the helpful tips, and your rig. I've been looking at the Casita fiberglass trailers so it's great to see people out there having fun in a similar rig. I like some of the new pricey eco-friendly trailers too, but I could pull a 16-17 fit fiberglass trailer without having to buy a new tow vehicle.

Apr 10 2011, 6:10 am - Replied by: roadbound

Wow, I had only seen the exterior of your Oliver trailer when I made that comment. It's definitely in a class of its own. Looks like they've halted production, and that's too bad!

Apr 10 2011, 2:50 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Yes... Oliver is indeed in a class of it's own.  We looked at the Casita, and really liked it.  But once we saw an Oliver....    

It's a niche market of folks who want (and can afford) the higher end build in such a small package, and their timing to the market couldn't have been worst timed.  So, we have 1 of 45 made. 

That said, after nearly 3 years of it, we're starting to contemplate a slightly larger RV...  
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Apr 11 2011, 4:18 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Welcome to NuRVers, roadbound! There are a lot of things to be concerned about jumping into this lifestyle. It is a bit overwhelming. However, know that once you have jumped, it is amazing!

The only think I can comment on above is that if you need to VPN with the work you do, you will find challenges with a satellite connection - unless you pay for a high dollar system. I have been using EVDO air cards ever since we started on the road and they have worked out perfectly for me.

Good luck in your planning. Start getting rid of stuff now. There is way more than you think :)  Try to bypass the storage thing. You just end up paying for stuff you aren't going to use.

And welcome to NuRVers!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Apr 13 2011, 1:03 am - Replied by: roadbound

Thanks for the welcome and advice, Kev. I worried about the vpn issue. My current employer uses both Cisco VPN (5.0.04.0300) and AnyConnect. I read up a bit on the problems with vpn over satellite and wondered if AnyConnect SSL vpn would work faster. My thought was I might be able to do some part time chat support that way.

Fortunately, I've just received an offer for a software qa/tester position here in Houston. After a few years of experience, and selling off lots of stuff, I could envision taking on 3-6 months testing projects in the city of choice and having some fun in between jobs.

It'll take a few years to get rolling, but this is definitely looking do-able!

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***