FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Introductions
Topic Hello
Hello
Total Views: 833 - Total Replies: 8
Feb 22 2011, 3:34 am - By Alex_n_Mike

Hello everyone!

I just found this site from the Techonmadia blog, who I found at Burning Man last year. We were planning on getting our feet wet this year, but since there were, um, employment changes, it may take a while longer.

I'm a welder, (girl welder, btw) and make cremation urns for a living, so I plan on taking my whole studio on the road with us. I think that is going to be the strangest/funnest challenge.

Michael works in photography/photo retouching, and some carpentry, so it will be interesting to set up the income part of our travels. But I figure we will be darn well rounded.

Michael and I are in the very first stages of our On the Road fantasy, still figuring out what will work for us. We are thinking of my car towing my work studio and a small rv to start. I am looking to read all of your fabulous advice!

Feb 22 2011, 4:06 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Welcome, guys!!  How cool that you met us a Burning Man and found NuRVers. This is really the right group to come to for advice and inspiration for life on the road. Lots of like minds here. 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 23 2011, 6:05 pm - Replied by: Alex_n_Mike

Thanks Cherie! I am so looking forward to it!
Feb 23 2011, 8:30 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Welcome to NuRVers! Happy you found us :)

You two have a very interesting skill set. I bet you guys thrive on the road! I am looking forward to seeing how that comes along.

Making that selection of what to travel in is quite the task. If you have not had an RV before, I recommend going to as many RV dealers as possible and walking through every kind of rig possible. Take your time. Sit around in them and get a feel for what is comfortable for you two. It is all about how you want to live, and what you are comfortable with.

Once you get a feel for what you are comfortable with, start scouring the web for rigs. It is so much easier having an idea of what to look for before you start looking for it :)

The important thing is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. Unless you finance a new rig and start out upside down on a loan, it is easy enough to change your mind after a while if what you get isn't working out for you. The important thing is to get out there!

Best of luck, and keep us up on what you are doing!

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 24 2011, 12:39 am - Replied by: Alex_n_Mike

Thanks for the advice Kev. We really have no idea what we want yet, so pseudo shopping will be ideal! I do spend nights trolling ebay and craigslist, even though we are probably about a year off from actual purchase. (My fantasy is to have one with a woodburning stove. I love the dreaming part of it all, nothing has ever resonated with me as much.)

I think what we have agreed upon so far is to get a 'starter' rv that is on the cheaper side, so we can play with it and tweak it and discover our needs, taking it out for short jaunts while we figure our needs. (and find out if we can even hang in such close quarters without driving each other crazy)

Can't wait to meet on the road!
Alex

Feb 24 2011, 9:22 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Alex_n_Mike wrote:
I think what we have agreed upon so far is to get a 'starter' rv that is on the cheaper side, so we can play with it and tweak it and discover our needs, taking it out for short jaunts while we figure our needs. (and find out if we can even hang in such close quarters without driving each other crazy)

Can't wait to meet on the road!
Alex

Brilliant! That is exactly what Angie and I did before we hit the road. Our first two RVs were bought off Craigslist for cash. Like, very little cash. We got the first one for Burning Man, and paid $2500 for it. I had to fix everything in that little Class C, and it taught me a lot about RV systems. The next one was a little larger, and just as many problems. They were great because it was a steep learning curve, as everything needed repair. Even got experience blowing out a water heater because of high water pressure!!

But they were great learning experiences. We were able to figure out what we liked, what we needed, and how we liked to live in a mobile environment. The best things about buying cheap RVs is that you can easily do some repairs and sell it for what you paid after a while! Works well.

Good luck!!

kev
Feb 24 2011, 7:36 pm - Replied by: Alex_n_Mike

Many years we have rented and rv for burning man. Now I kick myself thinking of that money that could have gone to a permanent rv. Oh well, it did help me fall in love with them.

Maybe the stars will align and we can make a purchase before this years event.

Feb 24 2011, 10:05 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Just say you guys are in LA. We are currently in Newport Beach, but we are heading out tomorrow. It would have been fun to meet up and talk RVs and Burning Man!!

--kev

Feb 24 2011, 10:11 pm - Replied by: Alex_n_Mike

That'd be absolutely fabulous! We are up in the Brewery Art Colony. Have you been up here?  Where are you heading to? If you plan on passing this way, might be nice to get a drink or snack at the cafe here.
Remote Income E-book packed with Resources

*** NuRVers.com ***