Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Epic Nomadic Convoy on Wheels?
Total Views: 1581 - Total Replies: 10
Feb 11 2011, 11:30 pm - By Technomadia

As our time here in the US Virgin Islands draws to an end next month, we're starting to contemplate what's next for us. 

We both dream of sailing... but don't feel the time is right yet. 
We both dream of extended international travel...  SE Asia calls us.  In time. 
And we still have a kick ass off grid RV. 

Honestly, just returning to our little trailer and continuing on as before isn't appealing to us. We got in too much of a rut bouncing around between obligations and social opportunities. That's just not the way it should be done.  And after 5 years... it got a bit old. 

But what does intrigue us a rolling community for an epic adventure.  Ok, maybe not epic EPIC, but amazing at least. 

Perhaps convoying with a group of uber cool younger working tech-nomads to Alaska over the summer?    Or even down into Central America (where we hear it pays to travel in a flock of RVs).  

Meandering along the road... stopping for a while to work, hike, chill, etc. Then moving on.  Perhaps the group doesn't stay all bumper-to-bumper all the time allowing for flexibility of rendezvous spots and time spans?

Sharing resources, such as pooling satellite uplinks to provide internet for us bandwidth junkies.  Those with bigger rigs able to provide a living room.  Sharing in meals, drink, games, experience, expertise, skills and community on the roll for a few months.   Maybe leave it to the dice to decide our specific waypoints.  Maybe we take turns.  Maybe we have a .. plan.  Nah.  Not going that far with it. 

So before we consider selling our tricked out trailer and moving on to different modalities of travel.  We're thinking.. perhaps an adventure across borders with friends and community is in order. 

So.. tossing it out there. Fishing to see if there's interest to form a caravan as soon as May, June or July? And heading north. Or south.  

Anyone in?

- Cherie & Chris

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 12 2011, 9:22 pm - Replied by: zennomads

I love the idea. I think that going south of the border would be a great adventure. Strength in numbers is always good.

The previous owner of our rig had been down to Belize 3 times and said it was fantastic.

Keep us posted.
Zen Nomads - Wanderers in search of enlightenment
Feb 13 2011, 6:22 am - Replied by: blars

While it soudns like a good idea, most people who aren't retiered need a source of income larger than what they get online.  So unless you have a solution for that problem, I don't think I could join your caravan for very long.  I'm pretty much stuck here until I get rid of this house thing.
Feb 13 2011, 6:38 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Blars - we've been on the road for nearly 5 years now, and that 'problem' long since solved for us.   Some of us are surviving (if not thriving) with incomes we make while being completely mobile.   

This convoy of course would work best with folks with agility to be wherever they choose. 
On the road since 2006 

Feb 18 2011, 8:14 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

The UberAdventure sounds awesome. Or epic even :)  I think going either north or south would be most fun in a caravan. A lot of shared resources would ease a lot of the details of a big trip like that.

While not able to do it now, both directions are on my Someday List. Looking forward to seeing if this comes together.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 19 2011, 12:32 am - Replied by: Digital_Nomad

Overall, sounds like fun. 

I'm not sure how easy it would be for me since I usually have to fly out a few times a month. 

Keep me posted and we'll see if Karen and I can figure out a way to make it work.

Feb 19 2011, 1:39 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Ben.. if it's something you guys want to do, we'll totally be open to planning it around your travel needs :)
On the road since 2006 

Feb 19 2011, 11:12 am - Replied by: BeBe

We have been wanting to go to Mexico & Central America since we started full-timing but didn't feel entirely safe on our own. We LOVE Belize but the rainy season starts in May and we would be very, very interested in going after that.  

Our time in Quartzsite was such a wonderful experience with those who made it out there, and extending that to traveling together would be fabulous.

We do work part-time from our rig and although we are NOT young, we can party with the best of you, we just go to bed earlier ;)

So head up to Alaska for the summer and then after Burning Man we can join you heading south!

d&b
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Feb 19 2011, 5:35 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Another idea..   as extending far out to Alaska or Central America may be difficult to find enough folks able to do that without more advanced planning...  is perhaps a roving NuRVers gathering that is more domestically based?

A group that roams from spot to spot (following the good weather of course) stopping for a bit in locations to allow other nomads & RVers in the area to join up for a while.  

That might make it more accessible for more?

Our goal, I think, is to find a way to have travel full time AND have a sense of consistent community.   The 'where' is less important to us. 

- Cherie
On the road since 2006 

Sep 08 2012, 9:19 pm - Replied by: TheWhoDats

I tell you what plan this again after Aug of 2013 we're in! Our other choice before we decided we're hitting the road was going to Costa Rica for a yr. I've been trying to find a post where people travel together in RV's down south.
Look out world we're coming................
Oct 29 2012, 7:14 am - Replied by: anatomist1

Traveling across borders south of the border in your own vehicle always puts you at risk of having your vehicle seized by the authorities, also nice vehicles are magnets for criminals and corrupt cops looking for bribes.  I'm not saying I know the risks are high, but I recommend looking into them. 

An epic trip I have been daydreaming about is to do the entire Trans-Canadian highway over the summer, from Vancouver, BC to St Johns, Newfoundland.  I did most of it in two legs a few years ago, but petered out on the eastern leg before I got to Nova Scotia.  It's really amazing up there, in terms of incredibly hospitable people (outside the biggest cities, at least), wide open, immense spaces with almost no people at all, and just plain peacefulness.  I remember coming back to the states and being disgusted with how vicious and crowded the old normal seemed.  Just an idea...

http://www.passportamerica.com

*** NuRVers.com ***