LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » People As Places As People
Sub-Forum Places To Go
Topic Florida?
Florida?
Total Views: 2814 - Total Replies: 10
Jan 14 2011, 3:43 am - By SilverSnail

...wondering about other people's favorite places (towns, cities, parks, campgrounds, secret places) in Florida....
Sharon | 2012 20' Airstream Safari | 2010 Nissan Titan
Travel log: www.TheSilverSnail.com
Photography: www.TracesofPlaces.com
Graphic Design: www.BluecatMedia.com
Jan 14 2011, 6:06 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

I like Florida. I like the warm winter Florida, and not so much the cold winter version. We had a couple nice winters there.

Up north, I like Nature's Coast RV Resort - http://www.naturecoastrvresort.com/  It is about 12 sites in a wooded area, just outside a little gulf port town. The owners are NuRVers, the town is funky, and it is like staying at an RV bed and breakfast when you are there. The owners hang out at the campfire with you, have BBQs, etc. They are great.

We also liked Ft. Desoto county park, just outside of St. Petersburg. It is like camping at Gilligan's Island. Two week max, and sometimes tough to get a site, but totally worth it.

Ft Myers Beach on the Gulf is pretty cool. Sanibel Island is out there. Great nightlife, and fun beaches. Kind of crowded, but fun.

Crystal River is a great area to hang out for a while. Cool funky places to visit, see the manatees.

On the other side, we liked Camelot RV Park in Malibar, Florida. The campground is pretty hip, and there is a dive bar around the corner that is big fun. It is easy to jump over the Indian River to the beautiful east coast beaches.

There are still a lot of places in Florida that I would like to go, but the winters need to warm up a bit.

Good luck!!

kev
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jan 15 2011, 1:18 am - Replied by: RVParking_com

Hey Guys,

Great timing! Our new blog post is on this very subject. Erin Lehn Floresca, RV editor over at BellaOnline.com helped us out with this one. We welcome any blog comments :).

http://blog.rvparking.com/2011/01/14/where-to-park-your-rig-in-the-sunshine-state/

Happy RVin'
Amanda
http://www.rvparking.com

Find an RV Park That's Right for You
Jan 15 2011, 1:28 am - Replied by: SilverSnail

Cool. Thanks.

Kev - Camelot looks like a good tip - I've got family over in that area, and have been looking for something near the water, on the water, or with a water view...ya know, something that feels like FLORIDA....also looking at Long Point Park or Manatee Hammock
Jan 17 2011, 11:01 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Florida has some awesome state parks.  Some of my favorites include Tomoka State Park in Ormond Beach (some of the sites have access to the Indian River, but the park itself is in walking distance to docks, and a quick drive over the causeway to the beach).   All the sites have a classic FL hammocks feel to them.

And we also enjoy Anastasia up in St. Augustine - they have beach access at the park.   

Also in the Brevard County area is Wickham Park in Melbourne, right by Melbourne BCC campus.  Pretty cool location.  The camp area is 'ok' (big grassy field with power outlets), but the park is great. 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Jan 17 2011, 2:16 pm - Replied by: SilverSnail

Thanks Cherie - I agree. The Florida State parks are some of the very best. I love 'em too - but if you haven't made advance reservations, it's tough to find any site available for more than a day or two. I've been wondering about Wickham...
Jan 17 2011, 9:40 pm - Replied by: travelfables

Sharon,
I've stayed at Long Point Park near Melbourne. I enjoyed it. It has a nice little Island you can mull around. Can get rowdy on the weekends in the Summer though (lots of locals come to play on boats). There is a great bike trail that goes through the Mangroves there. It is a lovely thing., and you can bike over to the state park which is just a quarter of a mile south. Be sure to check out the Pirate Museum south of the state park (its free). The sites at Long Point don't have alot of privacy (its just a grassy field next to the water, but the its an ok place none the less. Love rambling around the Island at Long Point Park.
Jan 25 2011, 6:09 am - Replied by: jbh

Try Ft. Clinch SP and Gamble Rogers; both offer sites just over the dunes from the beach.

Wickham is sorta West Melbourne and nowhere near the beach or Indian River. I haven't been to the park but I'm slightly familiar with the area.

On the west coast, St. Joseph Peninsula (I forget the proper name) SP, St. George Island SP. While not literally beachside, the beaches are a bike ride or walk away.

Moving eastward and south, Newport Campground (Wakulla County park) on the St. Marks River; go down to the St. Marks lighthouse, and have fresh seafood in St. Marks.

Manatee Springs SP, spring pool and Suwannee River. Low-Key Hideaway is on the water (back bay) in Cedar Key.

Simmons Park (Hillsborough county park) is on the water in Ruskin.

The east coast and the panhandle have waves and even a few surfers. The west coast is very low-energy, practically no waves, and between St. George and Clearwater, practically no beaches either; it's the land of salt marshes.

A couple of "secret" places are Tomoka SP and Cherry Pocket Fish Camp.

-C&J-

www.fugawetribe.com

Jan 28 2011, 6:38 pm - Replied by: lpokrana

One of my favorite parks is Rainbow River State Park. Fabulous kayaking and swimming (if the weather is warm enough.) It's north of Tampa and we had no issues getting a spot last year. They have a few non-reservable sites so if you can get those, you can stay up to 14 days. The facilities are newer and I thought the staff was very nice.
Jun 14 2011, 12:38 am - Replied by: TravelingOnTheOutskirts

I'm partial to Brevard County because it's where I grew up. :)  Wickham Park is the cheapest campground that isn't scary - actually a really nice campground for the price (downside = no sewer hookups) - the Park itself is awesome (hiking, biking, wildlife, discgolf, etc).  lol I sound like a damn advertisement! :p

When are you going to be in Florida because that will decide what you can actually do (active stuff or laid back stuff depending on the weather).  Today was NOT a day I'd like to be outside in Florida! :D
TravelingOnTheOutskirts.com
Jun 14 2011, 12:50 am - Replied by: SilverSnail

Thanks! I did actually spend the entire winter all over Florida. You can see photos, read my impressions of where I went, and also read campground reviews on my website: www.thesilversnail.com

I'd like to go back for a few more winters - it's such a wonderful playground during the winter! ...especially for kayaking!

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***