Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Slow leak under the kitchen sink
Total Views: 3261 - Total Replies: 10
Sep 14 2010, 3:43 pm - By BeBe

Noticed a small amount of liquid dripping in the basement area which is under the sink. Traced it up and there seems to be a slow leak in the connection between the supply line & the faucet.  There are 2 white plastic supply lines & we have tightened them but no change. Can anyone tell us how to fix this?!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

Sep 16 2010, 3:04 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

I'm guessing folks don't have advice on fixing this.. and would imagine that rigs vary enough that it's difficult to give advice like this online without much info to go on. 

But I do know that water leaks in an RV can cause irreversible and expensive damage - so if you've not found how to fix this yourself, would highly recommend getting to a repair shop ASAP. 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Sep 16 2010, 4:26 pm - Replied by: SL1966

Just a few quick questions.

1. Were you using tank water or hooked up to city water?

2. When connected to city water are you using a water pressure regulator?

Steve
Sep 16 2010, 5:01 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Hi Steve
We are hooked up to city water and using a water pressure regulator. The first thing we did was turn the pressure down. We're trying to find the right little black gasget to replace the sealing rings, but up here in Tahoe we can't seem to find the right thing. 

And today I just noticed the water had leaked into another basement area more towards the back...hope we don't have a huge problem.

My hubby loosened the old rings & put some vaseline on them and retightened & we haven't had any more leakage since last night...

THANKS FOR RESPONDING Cheri & Steve - we are kind of at a loss & Bill is very handy but just hates plumbing issues!!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

2008 35' Southwind

Sep 16 2010, 6:17 pm - Replied by: SL1966

I know the feeling when it comes to plumbing. I've found plumbers putty to sometimes help with leaks like that. It does require some taking apart and putting back together though.

Steve
Sep 21 2010, 6:42 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

BeBe wrote:
Noticed a small amount of liquid dripping in the basement area which is under the sink. Traced it up and there seems to be a slow leak in the connection between the supply line & the faucet.  There are 2 white plastic supply lines & we have tightened them but no change. Can anyone tell us how to fix this?!

Have you shut off the water and removed the connection? It may be that the gasket/seal in there is damaged or otherwise messed up. If it is a PEX connection, they use rubber "cones" for the seal. Or, it could be a flat washer-looking seal.

Sometimes tightening can make it worse. If it is coming from the supply line for sure, I would maybe try this first - turn off the supply and dry everything off. Have one of you under the sink, and the other turn on the water pump. See if you get the leak with the water pump pressure. If so, try to find where the leak is originating using a flashlight. You may be able to use a dry paper towel to see if you can isolate where the drip is coming from.

If it is still leaking, you can also take a picture of where you suspect the leak to be and post it up here. It might make it easier to see what the connections look like.

If it is coming from the line itself, which is unlikely, you will be able to cut out the leaky part and put in a coupling. All of that should be easy enough to find at a Home Depot or compatible store.

Our kitchen is on a slide, and I find that my drain lines get a little loose sometimes. You may want to feel those as well in case the drip is coming from there. They are usually hand-tightened fittings on the black drain pipes under the sink.

Good luck - post up some pics if it is still leaking!

--kev
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Sep 22 2010, 4:06 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Thanks, Kev - we think it's the gasket and haven't had any more leaking this week, cross your fingers!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

2008 35' Southwind

Sep 23 2010, 5:08 pm - Replied by: nina_70

We've had several small leaks at the gaskets/connections. All the rattling round in the RV just sets them off. Alot of the time it's just a poor connection. Plumbing tape has solved all our problems so far. We undo the connection, wrap plumbing tape and re-do the connection. Viola...no more leaks.

It's a similar idea to the vaseline you used...just a different way to seal the connection.

12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/
Sep 23 2010, 5:21 pm - Replied by: BeBe

Hey thanks, Nina!!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

2008 35' Southwind

Sep 23 2010, 6:11 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

nina_70 wrote:

It's a similar idea to the vaseline you used...just a different way to seal the connection.

Just because I am a geek, I will add this: I typically stay away from using Vaseline (petroleum jelly) on any rubber. Petroleum jelly will deteriorate natural rubber, but I believe it is OK on compounds such as neoprene. However, I can't ever tell the difference between the different rubber compounds in gaskets and o-rings, so I don't use it at all.

For lube on gaskets and o-rings, I use silicone lubricants. It is safe for all of the rubber compounds, and is safe for water supplies. I buy mine from scuba supply stores, but it can be found anywhere.

Just being a geek :)

kev
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Sep 23 2010, 6:14 pm - Replied by: BeBe

thanks...love the geek in you!
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

2008 35' Southwind

LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog

*** NuRVers.com ***