Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Culligan Home system in a travel trailer?
Total Views: 1623 - Total Replies: 3
Sep 13 2010, 1:33 am - By mikeworx

Has anyone installed a home water filter system in their RV? We have a great Culligan system that is about 1.5 years old and I want to bring it - just not sure if it can be installed? In our home it is supplied by a direct connection with city water. Could this somehow be hooked up to the fresh water tank with the special faucet installed on the counter above?

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
Sep 13 2010, 3:37 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Not sure how your Culligan system is configured, but the ones I have seen for the home are pretty large. We bought a small RV sized water softener and sediment & carbon filters for our rig.

Our water quality is very high, and the system hooks directly up to the campground water connection. Fits easily in our basement storage for travel.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Oct 06 2011, 5:50 pm - Replied by: creator

I have a full house sized 3 stage filter and Reverse Osmosis system installed under my sink. I found out after about a year of use that the sediment discharged by the RO systen can wreak havoc on your holding tank. After only about a year of use, my kitchen greywater tank developed a huge mass of calcium, and eventually clogged my waste valve. I was stationary for that year and had that valve open the whole time. I have seen other ppl that just ran the sediment waste line outside the RV.

Imagine the way a stalagtite forms over thousands of years, except in hyperspeed.

I ended up modifying my system to allow me to turn the RO part of the system off with 2 shut-off valves. I find that the 3 stage filtration is plenty good, but I can always turn it back on if I want to.

P.S. I still get big chunks of the calcium coming out when I drain my tanks about the thickness of drywall. It may not be an issue if you are mobile. The constant stirring motion while driving could keep the sediment from settling to the bottom and forming a solid mass. (same principal as the poor mans concrete in your black tank) 

Here I Go

Support a Site Member!

*** NuRVers.com ***