FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum Making a Living
Topic Expanding skill sets
Expanding skill sets
Total Views: 2098 - Total Replies: 5
Aug 22 2010, 12:53 am - By tackytexans

Hello!

I'm starting to explore the idea of taking some classes to expand my skill set to become more mobile-friendly. I'm looking towards more IT related, possibly web development/programming/security/app development  (just got a Droid, figured there was some opportunity out there?)

Just wanted to get others $0.02 worth on what may be better suited or more flexible for being location independent. My previous job history is in healthcare, BTW. Just hoping to have enough tricks up my sleeve to keep the travel going!  Thanks for your thoughts!

-Brice

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
Aug 22 2010, 5:43 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Brice.. 

Most IT fields can translate into a mobile living..  I think the more important question to ask yourself is..  where are your interests?  What will be the most rewarding path, energetically, for you?

No point in designing a mobile lifestyle, to only be stuck in a career path you feel isn't serving your passions.   Explore what your passions are, what inspires you and what will keep you wanting to 'work' with an amazing view instead of always out hiking in amazing places. 

You're at an unique spot right now where the world is yours to claim.  With great power comes great responsibility - and with that, includes responsibility for ensuring your continued joy and happiness.  None of us can you tell you what that path is.. only you can decide. 

:)

- No help Cherie 
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Aug 22 2010, 6:10 pm - Replied by: tackytexans

Very true. I feel that there are several paths to go along on the journey, and I just need to really think about what would inspire me and what I would feel confident in long-term.

I appreciate the feedback... much to think and ponder on.

-Brice

Aug 23 2010, 3:44 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

There's such a variety of things people are doing out there on the road, from insurance claims adjustors to traveling nurses to IT professionals. But Cherie is right, whatever things you choose to do has to be something you're truly interested in, because although the view from your office might change from day to day, if you're heart's not in your work, it's just going to seem like any other dull career path.

What did you do in health care? Are you sure that's not mobile?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Apr 13 2011, 1:21 am - Replied by: roadbound

Brice, a late reply here (recently joined). I'm not sure where in Texas that you live, but if you're close to Houston, here is an interesting software company to consider for IT-related work:

http://www.hcssdreamjobs.com/OpenPositions.aspx

They will take applicants with no IT experience or degree, but who demonstrate a passion for the job they're applying for, and they will train you.

The programming language they use is called Visual DataFlex, which seems a little obscure but it would be a start. They also have software QA/testing positions available that would offer experience that could later be taken on the road for 3 to 6 month project assignments, some occasionally involving website testing (work from home/rv).

Thought I'd mention it since most IT-related positions are looking for prior experience.

Apr 16 2011, 7:47 am - Replied by: hitek_homeless

You're so right, Cherie.
It maybe an aging post but what you said still holds true.
A couple of 30-sometings on an ultimate adventure.
LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog

*** NuRVers.com ***