LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Full Timers...tell your story...
Full Timers...tell your story...
Total Views: 1647 - Total Replies: 4
Aug 18 2010, 6:38 pm - By Chronic_Frailty

I thought it would be nice to hear everyone's story of the decision to full time (or not to do so)...

I'll start it off...

We were on our way down to Goose Island State Park for a week of tent camping a while back and kept seeing all these wonderful RVs.  We started talking about how nice it would be to just buy one and live in it now that the brats...er kids are moved out.  We could go where we wanted and take our home with us!
Two months later we were living in our new to us motor home.  We've never looked back or regretted the decision at all.  We love it more every day!!  Best thing is we don't have room for the kids to move back home for more than a visit for a day or two! hahaha

John and Terry
1996 Winnebago Brave 32' P30 454 Ga$
Toad - 2010 Nissan Cube
Band - Chronic Frailty...CLICK IT...I dare ya'

Aug 18 2010, 10:25 pm - Replied by: Activated

We got a job offer to bring theatre to schools nationwide in 1992. We bought an RV, sold and gave away most everything we owned -all in about 2 months. 18 years later we are still loving it! We hardly spend more than a couple of days in one location and have zig zagged across the USA so many times that we are "home" where ever we go.
Oh and we didn't wait for the kid to move out. He grew up on wheels and is now out on his own, living mostly in one place but doing quite a bit of traveling still.

Act!vated
Aug 19 2010, 12:40 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Our stories are different, as we met sorta on the road. 

Chris had been inspired by Steve Roberts, the original 'technomad' (who coined the term in 1983 when he set off full time on a geeked out recumbant bike). Chris had intentions of embracing technomadism for a long time, but had a fun high-paying Silicon Valley job that was too good to give up.  So when company chaos happened and he won the lay-off lottery, it was time to put wheels in motion.  He put notice on his penthouse apartment, and figured it all out... acquiring a small travel trailer to live out of in 2006. 

For me.. I had considered going full time in 2003, when I was selling one house and wondering why I was buying another?  Especially considering at the time my domestic partner was traveling practically all the time doing hospital tech installs.  Since my software business was location independent, we seriously considered getting a rig and just having home be wherever he needed to be. For various reasons, we ended up buying a house instead.. and several years later our relationship had run its course, and I was ready to move to CA.  However, the house had dropped in value so much, I couldn't afford to sell it at a loss and afford San Francisco prices.  Then I met Chris, our lives aligned and I joined him on the road in 2007.  My mind & businesss was already agile enough to embrace a fully mobile lifestyle, and I could afford to sell for a loss and live this awesome lifestyle. 

We've since upgraded our rig to something ideal for the two of us.. and are now also considering live aboard sailing as a future modality of travel. 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Aug 20 2010, 5:10 am - Replied by: margielundy

We both worked from home, and homeschooled, and camped often in our RV. We had 2 houses and needed to sell 1 and knew the one in the town we hated would sell last, and didn't want to live there, so we said hey, why not just live in the RV? Now we're wondering why it took us so long to figure that out!
lundy5.com
Aug 20 2010, 4:47 pm - Replied by: Viajo

We had been planning on fulltiming later on when we had more bills paid and were closer to retiremet. Bill was in a 25 year job as a printer and he was not about to leave the pay and benefits it entailed. Well, on April 30, 2008, the company took the option out of his hands and said don't bother coming in anymore. As the recession got worse in Northern WI we finally hit the road in October 2009 for him to work at Amazon. After spending the winter working in Phoenix he got the job he has now and we are traveling constantly. Good? Mostly. I just wish we would have had more time to tie up loose ends back in WI as it is difficult to do from a distance but at least there is money coming in!
http://www.passportamerica.com

*** NuRVers.com ***