Welcome Guest Login or Signup

New Posts | My Topics | Profile Forum | User Settings | Subscriptions
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic RV Insurance
Post Reply
RV Insurance
Total Views: 1674 - Total Replies: 4
Jul 19 2010, 12:55 pm - By Boyink

We have an '05 Rockwood 5th Wheel we plan to live in for a year.  When we bought it we had our existing agent provide an insurance policy but we're not happy with it as it doesn't seem very RV specific.

We looked at Good Sams but they won't cover you if you "conduct business" from the rig - which we will be doing (online work mostly).

Are there other more RV-specific insurance policies out there that are more flexible?
A family of 4 ditches their house, gives away most of their stuff and hits the road full-time

Remote Income E-book packed with Resources
Jul 19 2010, 1:26 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

There are RV Full Timer's policies.  Ours is through National Interstate, and we us an agent  in our state of domicile to find policies suitable for our situation. Our agent specializes in fulltimer insurance.  I don't know if she works outside of SD.  But generally you will find more such policies in states that are full time RVer friendly.

Ours includes things like personal liability, replacement cost of personal stuff, awning replacement, etc.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Jul 19 2010, 1:39 pm - Replied by: InPursuit

Your caveat that you (only?) intend to do this for one year is the gotcha.
I am in the same boat as you with too many balls in the air to commit yet.

When I looked into it in March I found that while there *are* ways to get better coverage... to do so (without exorbitant cost) requires changing many other things about legal status. In particular residency as many states insurance rules simply don't have provision for real fulltimer policies. Your state might though so be sure to ask locally too.

A kludge is to have your old (or a beater) car parked at your 'rents house with minimum collision insurance and "assert" that the family home is "owned"... all to get you that combined asset status that underwriters look for.

Doing the residency change will affect still other things (like taxes and their costs) and it soon becomes like the analogy of squeezing the balloon. Action and re-action. And that is dependent on tax bracket and nature of income.

Retired people who have investments but little in earned income have a very different set of concerns compared to working age people with mostly earned income.

The business aspect only complicates this more.

Wish I had more/better news for you.

Jul 19 2010, 2:38 pm - Replied by: SL1966

Uh oh! This is something that I've not yet explored. What exactly are the pitfalls that I should be aware of? I want to be sure my rig is covered tongue to tail. 

I haven't yet worked out whether I'm going to run a business or just go from job to job. I'm leaning towards working jobs rather than a business if that helps. 

Any advice is welcome.

Jul 19 2010, 3:36 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

We're Texas residents via Escapees, and have a full-timers policy through an Escapees endorsed agent. The policy is through Progressive. One of the bennies is that it covers us for stated value of the rig, meaning, what we paid for it. Always. So if it's totalled, we would get what we paid for it in 2007, not what it's worth today. And that's good for the life of the policy. There are very few policies like that. I suggest calling them, even if you're not an Escapees member.

I think what insurance companies are looking for are people running businesses that would involve the public going in and out of their rig. i.e, a mobile pet groomer, dentist, hairdresser.

As Internet-based professionals who don't have public traffic coming in and out of their rig, you would most likely be fine. The insurance that we had for home based business was exactly like that. As long as we didn't have an "Open for Business" sign (literally) on the door, we were covered.  The way we run our business out of the RV is exactly the same.

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Post Reply

Support NuRVers.com Members!

*** NuRVers.com ***