LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Change of plan - MOAB!!!
Change of plan - MOAB!!!
Total Views: 1844 - Total Replies: 4
May 07 2010, 3:07 am - By smthng

After checking weather, getting some fixes done and checking our timing... we've decided to pass on Big Bend and return at another time for that.  So, we're going to MOAB instead!!!  Wh00p! :)

Any suggestions on a campground for four or five days for us?  We're planning a couple days in Canyonlands, a couple days in Arches and if we can swing it, a day trip down the Colorado River.  We'd be happy for suggestions on a rafting or tour company for that as well.

We expect to be there in two or three days, so don't be shy with those suggestions. ;)  Thx!

--smthng
http://wegofar.com/
'01 Newmar Dutch Star - No name yet, but my wife calls it the Death Star. :S
'06 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - "Teflon" - has to go away soon. :(

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

'03 Yamaha TW-200 - "Little Tractor"

May 07 2010, 12:21 pm - Replied by: SL1966

I would call ahead if you plan to camp someplace where you have to pay. There are a lot of people there this time of year. I wound up sleeping in my truck due to a lack of camping spots the last time I was there. I wound up leaving for Glenwood Springs the following morning because I still couldn't find a spot. At the time I was just tent camping and didn't know a thing about boondocking.

While you're down there, and with a little luck, maybe you'll run into this guy .. http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13843274. I"m hoping for a chance to meet the guy myself when I hit the road.

Good Luck and Have Fun
May 07 2010, 2:50 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Yes..  definitely call ahead and get reservations.  We went through Moab 3 years ago this time of year, and no chance of getting into Arches itself for camping.  We ended up in one of the many BLM campgrounds along 128 outside of Arches.  Which were perfectly gorgeous, but no hook-ups. 

We went though Capitol Reef NP last summer (August) and it was full up too, and ended up in the most spectacular of boondocking spots on forrest land just outside it (with bonus cell signal!).  

The basic lesson here.. it's a popular place to be this time of year.  If you want hook-ups, manifest some serious serendipity spells :). 

- Cherie
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

May 07 2010, 5:56 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

We love Portal RV Resort in Moab. They have quite a few sites, and they also have sites they are trying to sell. They rent out those at the same price, and they are awesome sites.

The managers at Portal also have a Jeep tour company called Outlaw Jeep Tours, so they are very knowledgeable of the trails around the area. They can also hook up rafting and other adventures.

We have also stayed at Archview, which is north of town. It is a fine place to stay, as there are a few trail heads very close (7 Mile was a lot of fun - good solo adventure). Running into town isn't so too far, but I like staying aired down and disconnected on my swaybars while I am there, so prefer staying in town, closer to food and trail heads.

We have also stayed at Spanish Trail RV park. Very nice, and on the south end of town. Great park and close to stuff.

Have fun - totally jealous!!

kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
May 17 2010, 5:31 pm - Replied by: RVoutoftheRatRace

Technomadia wrote:

We went though Capitol Reef NP last summer (August) and it was full up too, and ended up in the most spectacular of boondocking spots on forrest land just outside it (with bonus cell signal!).  

Any chance you want to give up this location? We are headed that way later this year and are always looking for boondocking with cell service....

Jenn

Who says work has to be done in a cubicle?

Support NuRVers.com Members!

*** NuRVers.com ***