Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Slow dumps
Total Views: 1534 - Total Replies: 5
Mar 10 2010, 4:52 pm - By smthng

Ok, I can get carried away when surfing the interwebs occaisionally and I end up following stuff everywhere and then forget stuff I wanted to keep track of.  This is one of those times...

First, we have a 38' diesel Dutch Star with a Cat engine and some kind of HWH hydraulic levelling system.  We also have some kind of air suspension and air brakes, for which I think we have two big air tanks and compressors (which do an awesome job of airing up Jeep tires). ;)

When we park and prepare to level out, we have to dump the air from something... I'm assuming it's the suspension and air brake tanks.  I read somewhere that this should be a pretty quick process to dump the tanks.  When I hit the dump button, I can expect to hold it down for three or four minutes (I switch fingers a few times to relieve the stress - I know, it's a tough life). 

I read somewhere that if this takes a long time, there's probably a clogged up evap canister, condensation catcher, separator tank or something and that I should dump that.  Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly what it was that I should be cleaning out so I can't really search for it...  Google doesn't do well with terms like "that thing that stops me from dumping easily".  Trust me, that's not a good search.

That leads me to two questions... 

1 - Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

2 - Where would I find whatever it is that I'm talking about?

Yeah, I know... I'm a doofus. :S

--smthng
http://wegofar.com/
'01 Newmar Dutch Star - No name yet, but my wife calls it the Death Star. :S
'06 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - "Teflon" - has to go away soon. :(

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

'03 Yamaha TW-200 - "Little Tractor"

Mar 10 2010, 6:27 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

heh - I will join you in the Doofus Club then :)

I know of what you speak. I am plagued with a slow dumper too. However, it seems that the Monaco is know for its slowness. Other rigs - like a Country Coach and an Alpine that I know - it is really freaking fast. Like seconds.

However, I know in both of those they have air leveling, so maybe there is something different set up.

When I dump my system, it relieves pressure on the air bags and the tanks. I watch my pressure in my system drop to about 50-60psi and I stop. If it was only dumping out of the bags, it would be a quick process. But, since the storage tanks are bled down too, it takes forever. I wished it was a separate process (bags and tanks) so I didn't have to run my engine for a little air pressure to blow up my water wings :)

I would start at the end of the system and work back. Have someone hold the dump switch and you find where it is coming out. Check that valve, then work your way back on the system. My guess would be that if anything was not functioning correctly, it would be that dump valve.

Maybe check out some of the Newmar specific forums (like on IRV2.com) to see if anyone else is talking about it.

Or, maybe you just have a slow dumper too :)

---kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Mar 11 2010, 3:41 am - Replied by: smthng

You have pointed me in the right direction.  After more forums and some use of the Goog, I have determined...

I truly have a slow dumper. :(  Mine's like yours, it's dumping the tanks as well as the bags.

But, others have said there are a few things that help.  Pumping the brakes a bit to bleed off air first seems to make the biggest difference, but I don't exactly understand the whole process yet.  I'll have to experiment the next time we uproot to go dump the "other" tanks.

Quote:
Have someone hold the dump switch and you find where it is coming out.

There's something unsettling about being under a 30,000 vehicle that's trying to settle. :S

Still, I'll crawl around and make sure there's nothing clogged up... many have reported that bugs love to build things in the valves and that can make a huge difference.  We'll let you know the next time we move... probably about a week.

--smthng

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

Mar 11 2010, 4:55 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

smthng wrote:

But, others have said there are a few things that help.  Pumping the brakes a bit to bleed off air first seems to make the biggest difference, but I don't exactly understand the whole process yet.  I'll have to experiment the next time we uproot to go dump the "other" tanks.

I use to pump the brakes a bit, but read something that made me stop. Unfortunately, I have a case of CRS, and can't fully remember what it was. Possibly had something to do with possible damage to some needle valves in the brake system. I really wish I would have copied/bookmarked what I read and investigated more, because now I just sound like a guy that doesn't do something for not a good reason :)

smthng wrote:

Quote:
Have someone hold the dump switch and you find where it is coming out.

There's something unsettling about being under a 30,000 vehicle that's trying to settle. :S

Agreed. I would be the one pushing the switch :p

Actually, mine comes out somewhere close to my generator up front. I don't think it is under the coach, but rather "under the dash". If you have a front genny with a front opening hood, maybe listen for it there.

I suppose if you get real bored pushing the switch, you can go to one of the bleed valves and open er up. Just make sure to close things up properly. Moisture is not a friend to the inner workings of the air system.

Slow dumpers unite!!

--kev

Mar 11 2010, 5:23 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

So, after a little Googlification, what I found on the brake pedal pumping was this:

Actually, just pushing on the brake pedal doesn't release much air. Repeated LIGHT pumping of the brakes DOES.

The problem is that the parking brake already has the rear brakesapplied. By applying the service brakes, you are COMPOUNDING the rearbrakes-- applying force from two different sources. THAT CAN BEND BRAKECOMPONENTS.

So, if you are in a great rush and "need" to do it, VERY LIGHTLY tap the brake pedal multiple times.

A couple of places talked about the E-brake being applied and mashing on the service brakes applies double the normal pressure on the brake components. Makes sense.

--kev

Mar 13 2010, 8:54 am - Replied by: smthng

KevsKnight wrote:
A couple of places talked about the E-brake being applied and mashing on the service brakes applies double the normal pressure on the brake components. Makes sense.

I've seen that before as well, but I think someone said it doesn't apply to my rig.  I probably blew it off anyway as "something I'll never do".  

I can see this becoming a balancing job...  turn off the rig so it doesn't run the compressors, hit the brakes a few times to bleed off some air, activate the parking brake, dump the tanks.

I'm not sure how much of that my rig will actually do when switched off.  Even though I'll probably just keep waiting for the air dump, it wouldn't hurt to know how much braking I have without the engine running.

--smthng

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***