Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Stupid Things RVers Do to Annoy You
Total Views: 2238 - Total Replies: 11
Feb 23 2010, 11:10 pm - By LiveWorkDream

Don't you hate it when your peace and quiet is disturbed by some idiot who just has to park their rig right next to you, despite a zillion other places to camp? Like what, are they blind? Afraid of being alone? Just plain stupid?

That happened to us today, out here in the desert, where there's at least a thousand other spots for this bonehead to park. It got me thinking; why are some campers so oblivious?

Time for a good ol' fashioned bitch session! So, what are your biggest peeves that take place in campsites across America?

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Feb 24 2010, 4:20 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Grrr.  Can so relate.  We were boondocking at a marina last week down in the Keys. And a huge rig pulls up right next to us and runs their generator all night long!  It wasn't like there weren't other places to park in the lot. 

Other pet peeves:

- While boondocked for the shuttle launch a couple weeks back, our neighbors let their dog 'do its business' on our tires ?!?

- The noisy campsite residents who keep a 'watchful eye' on your every move. 

- Folks who don't clean up their trash. 

- Folks curious about our trailer who practically invite themselves in for a tour, as if were a floor model.  (We love showing our trailer.. sometimes.. we regularly do extend invites for a tour.)

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 24 2010, 6:25 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

That's so rude someone let their dog pee on your tires. As a dog person, we try realllllly hard not to give doggies a bad name in parks.

Interesting about your impromptu trailer tours. I can totally see that happening, because your trailer is so damn cool!

Feb 24 2010, 8:04 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

IMO, there are very few irritations, and quite possibly, I make some up just because this lifestyle is so awesome, and I need something to bitch about :)

• Needless idling of diesels - I am irritated by people that think they need to let their diesel truck/RV idle for extended periods of time. Seriously, friends, they really don't need THAT much idling time, and most of it just wasting fuel.

• People that don't recognize that you are butting up to checkout time and want to have a full-on conversation. I really need a polite way to say "I'm sorry, but it is 5 minutes to 11, I need to fully disconnect, and I am slightly hung over. I would love to talk to you about my macerator, but I am seriously running behind".

• Rats nest of cables/hoses/cords/etc at pedestal. Alright, so maybe I just laugh at this one, but really, how hard is it to coil your stuff up? I once saw a DTV satellite tripod that had maybe 50' of extra cable in a tangled web all piled up around it. Coil up that hose!! (ok, thats a bit anal, but COME ON!!)

• Campgrounds that do not recycle. Errrrr.
I would love to hand out comment cards to our neighbors and ask them how many things about us irritate THEM!! :)

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Feb 24 2010, 9:51 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Yes.. why does it seem that folks want to strike up conversations just as you're leaving?  I more consider this a problem with way-too-early check-out times (11a.. come on.. I'm still waking up then!).. than generally great fellow travelers wanting to connect. :)

And ditto on the need for easier access to recycling!  We find this varies so much. 

And so true Kevin.. the annoyances are really rather quite few.  And as our homes have wheels.. if we don't like the neighborhood.. we can leave :)

Rene - most dogs we encounter (and their people) are totally awesome... esp when they realize we have a kitty onboard (we all actually love dogs).   This one occurrence we encountered really caught us off guard. 
Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Feb 24 2010, 11:26 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

It's so funny..this lifestyle IS so cool. When one stupid thing rakes my buzz, it's like "Oh my god my world is falling apart!"

Oh, we do have it easy don't we?

Mar 10 2010, 2:28 am - Replied by: travelfables

Pet Peeves., Often times, at some parks, the more super-huge the Rv the more humongous is the Super Concentrated dehydrated Kiddie-Vermin. Yes about the time the convention-hall slide-out comes out on the neighboring mongo-bus (this gives them time to add water), you can count on 10thousand kiddie-vermin swarming your campsite and all the neighbors. Yes, these kids make the brats featured in Raising Arizona look like well behaved little darlings. You start by being your casual self, ah kids will be kids , but right about then their parents or feau-guardians start screaming at them in tandem (all of course being more and more ignored by the vermin). So it makes your campsite unbearable.
Mar 17 2010, 5:34 pm - Replied by: lpokrana

We haven't encountered too many pet peeves...like you all said, we have quite the life and not a lot to complain about.  However! (you knew that was coming, right?) the recycling issue is something we find ourselves complaining about.  Oregon parks had great recycling availability.  We haven't found too many other state parks with such a well-organized recycling program.  Now, the back of our tow vehicle carries several weeks' worth of recycled items until we can seek out a community recycling center.  

Other than that, I am generally pretty laid back and flexible about things and hope that others are the same way.  
Mar 18 2010, 8:05 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Oh man, we got LWD'ed the other day (named after our very own LiveWorkDream). Being LWD'ed means to be "spoken to in a stern tone by park employees (or rangers)". Seems that we were someone else's pet peeve and they called for some muscle. Our Jeep was parked in their spot, and they weren't having it.

So, WE were someone's pet peeve, apparently :)

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Mar 18 2010, 6:43 pm - Replied by: smthng

I truly believe that Jeeps are exempts from all parking guidelines and laws. ;)

--smthng
http://wegofar.com/
'01 Newmar Dutch Star - No name yet, but my wife calls it the Death Star. :S
'06 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - "Teflon" - has to go away soon. :(

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

'03 Yamaha TW-200 - "Little Tractor"

Sep 05 2010, 5:32 pm - Replied by: BeBe

ok - I'm going to chime in here because we have experienced an issue that completely drives us bonkers & always looking for help in ways to combat it:

-cigar & cigarette smokers who set up there little relaxation station right under your open window!

I have tried to be cute & funny - leaning out the window, OMG I exclaim in surprise your smoke is coming right into my window - you wouldn't mind moving that filthy, nasty, cancer causing, disgusting thing out of my breathing space would you??????  JK - but really that's what I'd like to say...

Our latest "pet" peeve - new Labor Day weekend neighbors in the campground that kept their 2year old adorable chocolate labs either locked up in their crates (right by our bedroom window) or tied up to a tree all day...they cried and whined constantly seeking attention while their family spent all their time in the trailer...I mean, WHY even bring them! I did change my opinion of said family yesterday when they drove 5 hours round trip to bring the pooches home...we never complained, but they were notified that others did...
~Debby & Bill
aka eXceSs & Lycktonite

on the adventure of our lives......
2008 35' Southwind
2010 Subaru Forester toad

FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***