Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Rubber Roof Maintenance Question
Total Views: 2510 - Total Replies: 7
Jan 12 2010, 2:43 am - By LiveWorkDream

Hey all ya trailer trash hoboes out there, I need a question answered about caring for a rubber roof.

Went up top today to give the rig a good washing before we head out, and noticed a ton of mildewy looking spots up top. Nothing too huge but lots of flecks here and there. I believe it happened when we froze our asses off in Reno a ways back and ran the heater all day. We've also had the rig parked in the shade for the last month while we visit family in their stick house.

I washed the rig but the spots are still there. So, not having any rubber roof cleaner handy, I was thinking of applying a mild bleach solution to the roof to clean off the spots. Do you think this would be too hard on the roof? Should I just get off my lazy butt and go get some rubber roof cleaner?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

-Rene

Working and Living Our Dream Life
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations
Jan 12 2010, 3:56 pm - Replied by: travelfables

If you have no cleaner, Apple cider Vinegar is good at removingmildew, and not as harsh as bleach, might work... test first..

Jan 12 2010, 8:27 pm - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Thanks for the tip!
After I fired this off last night, I did some research. Well, apparently these little mildew spots are pretty common, and darned near impossible to get rid of. The general opinion of folks on RV.net is that the more you scrub the more damage you're doing to the roof, so it's better just to leave them. They also said that bleach would mess up the fiberglass coating when it runs down. Spic and Span was cited as about the only "safe" commercial cleaner other than rubber roof cleaner, to use up there.

I dunno, makes me feel really trailer parky to do ignore the spots, but I also don't want to mess up the roof either. I'll probably just leave it and look the other way next time I'm up there.

Jan 15 2013, 7:17 pm - Replied by: TheSampsons

Pretty common and not an issue. Only issues the spots
cause is when they are inside the RV ;)

Jan 16 2013, 3:59 am - Replied by: RVoutoftheRatRace

We've had the midew spots for several years now, ever since we spent a winter in Colorado. I've tried bleach, rubber roof cleaner, TSP  and they still persist. It's frustrating but seems to be one of those things you have to ignore. If you do find something that works, I'd love to know. 
Who says work has to be done in a cubicle?
Jan 16 2013, 4:55 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

Well, since I originally posted this, our mildew spots haven't gotten any worse despite being in very humid conditions over the last few months, but I still haven't been able to get rid of them either. They're not growing so I'm just leaving them alone at this point. 

Could be worse I guess, could be a stick house roof I'm dealing with! 

May 26 2013, 7:12 pm - Replied by: debnyberg

I have been looking online for this information too.  This is what I am thinking about using for our camper.  http://www.epdmcoatings.com/liquidroof.html  

Product description: EPDM Liquid Roof - For RV Roof Repair and Mobile home applications  $79.47  

See customer reviews here:  http://www.epdmcoatings.com/page50.html

Deb, Ken & Nicole Nyberg
http://www.debnyberg.com
Aug 28 2014, 8:58 pm - Replied by: sfc2113

Get some marine grade spray nine, and a very soft bristle brish on a stick (marine grade)  mist it on the roof in small sections.  wait 5 min and gently brush it over the area to loosen the mold a bit,  hose it off. Move to the next section.

You may see some white in the water , dont worry it does not eat your roof. It is just the chalky residue from your roof as it sits in the sun it oxidizes a bit. 

Very easy and works great.

Support a Site Member!

*** NuRVers.com ***