Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Our New Water Filter Setup
Total Views: 1222 - Total Replies: 3
Jan 11 2010, 4:46 am - By KevsKnight

This past summer, we bought a water softener, and have really liked it. However, we knew that we weren't getting any real filtration with it, so I have been looking into filters to add inline. After talking to a couple people here in Quartzsite, I decided on a sediment and carbon filter setup to go with the water softener.

The black unit is the water softener that we already had. The white filter on the left is the sediment filter. Water supply goes in there, and the filter gets out the big chunks. The water then goes through the water softener, then into the filter on the right, which is a carbon filter. Out of the carbon filter will be my hose, which is on a reel, and feeds the coach. So, this whole mess will sit out at the post.

The attachment system came from a scuba pony bottle setup I had for a long time, and carried it around thinking that I could use it for a filter someday. There is a nylon belt that goes around the water softener, and a bracket that the clamps go through to hold the new filters in place. It is a little heavy, but keeps everything together.

We always get water for drinking (refillable containers), so didn't go with an R/O system for the house. We were just looking for better cooking, shower, teeth brushing, etc. Also, hopefully this will prevent some of the mess we have dealt with on some of our faucets.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jan 14 2010, 2:10 am - Replied by: deadeye916

What do you do when temps get below freezing?

I have the Mark8000 water softener and was thinking about doing something similar to your setup, only I want both filters inline before the softener.

signaturebanner.gifVisited States Map

2008 Monaco Diplomat SFT pushed by 2007 Jeep Wrangler - Click map for CG's we have visited -

-- USAF Retired -- Full-timing since December 2007 http://travelingrvwx.com/blog

Jan 14 2010, 6:48 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

We were getting freezing temps when we were in Moab. Each night, I disconnected the hose and stowed it, then drained the softener down a little and put it in the basement storage. In the morning, I would go out and hook it all up again.

It wasn't too bad, as I would disconnect the water line anyway. The softener was just a small added task.

I was going to put them inline, but changed my mind after talking to the water filter guy. He suggested putting it this way, as the water softener also acts as a filter of sorts, and then the carbon filter would pull out stuff after it goes through the softener. It won't pull salts, but most everything else that will get through the softener. He told me water out of a carbon filter is much more desirable than water out of the softener. Your mileage may vary :)

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jan 15 2010, 8:42 pm - Replied by: bercher

deadeye916 wrote:
What do you do when temps get below freezing?

I have a similar filter system setup that I put inside the cargo area of my 5er when the temp is going to be below freezing.  I place mine inside of a plastic tub, cutting holes in the walls of the tub for the hoses to enter and exit.  I then purchased a water leak alarm "Basement Watchdog  Battery Operated Water Alarm".
http://www.lowes.com/pd_117272-84862-BWD-HWA_0_?productId=1005609&Ntt=water%20alarm& Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=water%2 0alarm$y=0$x=0
The plastic tub will catch any water drips or leaks, within reason.  The water alarm will notify you of any water spills in the tub before the water fills the tub and spills into the cargo area.

I also put a small electric heater in the cargo area which is controlled by a thermostat so you can set the desired temperature.  This protects the water filter system and all of the water lines in that area from freezing.

I put heat cable wrapped with insulation on my outside water line and faucet.  I have filtered water all winter long.
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&am p;N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=heat+cable&x=0&y=0

I hope this helps.

Backpacking Europe in 2012!

Support NuRVers.com Members!

*** NuRVers.com ***