Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
verizon provides free wifi network access to evdo customers
Total Views: 1200 - Total Replies: 2
Dec 15 2009, 7:42 pm - By EVDOalex

Verizon just announced that they will provide free wifi network access
to its EVDO/mobile broadband customers, and that usage over wifi
network would not count against the 5gb allowance for cellular network.

in my opinion, this will make verizon even more popular for the RV community.

read more in the press release at: http://j.mp/vzwwifi

LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog
Dec 15 2009, 9:30 pm - Replied by: Technomadia

Sure... for RVers who tend to stick to developed cities and don't need wifi at home :)  That's not generally when we need mobile broadband as many RV Parks offer it in major cities (and we usually want it at home), some cities even have city wide wifi. When we're in more developed cities, we personally are generally staying with friends and utilizing their hotspots. 

When we need mobile broadband most is when we're away from these amenities - where Verizon hotspots are least likely to be :D 

Nice of them to offer it.. but not a huge enough plus for us anyway to ditch our grandfathered in Sprint plan.   

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

Dec 15 2009, 10:25 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

I agree with Technomadia's thoughts on the subject. I have VZW EVDO service (2 accounts), and think it is a nice perk, but not sure that I will ever use it. As I mentioned in the news posting I made, I am not one to take my laptop down to the coffee shop to surf or work. Since I have EVDO service, I can do that from anywhere, so I am not in the habit of doing that.

I could see taking advantage of it if I had to do some big downloads and I was knocking on the door of my limit (although I don't have the 5gb limit - speaking in theory). Maybe an OS upgrade or some other large app upgrade. Would be nice to have a cup of coffee and drag down everyone else's connection for a bit ;)

Like above, I too think it is a nice thing to offer, and think that it will be very useful to more metropolitan users that are doing that sort of thing.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.

*** NuRVers.com ***