Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
An Abnormal Toilet Scrub
Total Views: 997 - Total Replies: 3
Aug 06 2009, 5:37 pm - By KevsKnight

Yesterday I had enough of our toilet ball and it sticking when flushing. When it sticks, it leaves a little gap, which allows the water in the bowl to drain out, which allows the stank from the tank rise up in the bathroom, which grosses out the next occupant. I had tried several different things to make it better. Lubing the ball with plumbers lube was a temporary fix - two weeks at best.

I decided to disassemble the toilet to find out what was going on. What I found was hard water deposits on the rubber seal was creating friction between it and the ball. The deposits were scraping the lube off of the ball, which would make it stick.

Total time spent was a little over an hour to remove the toilet and scrub everything down. I took a little scraper I have and carefully removed the hard water deposits from the rubber seal, lubed it up, and replaced.

I don't know if this problem is specific to the Thetford china-bowl toilet I have, but it is worth looking into if you have a sticky ball in your toilet.

Ball and rubber seal -

--kev
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Aug 17 2009, 7:23 am - Replied by: smthng

Ours kinda does the same thing...  Did you have to remove the whole toilet, or is there a "shortcut"? 
I'm familiar with house toilets and they normally have that goopy wax sealing ring that needs to be replaced every time you pull the toilet.  Is it safe to assume that there's nothing like that on the RV bowl?  Ours is a Thetford too, but I'm pretty sure it's plastic, not china.

--smthng
http://wegofar.com/
'01 Newmar Dutch Star - No name yet, but my wife calls it the Death Star. :S
'06 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - "Teflon" - has to go away soon. :(

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

'03 Yamaha TW-200 - "Little Tractor"

Aug 20 2009, 4:19 pm - Replied by: Emmymau

I think RV toilets do have a sealing ring of some sort, actually.  Though I've never torn ours apart to be sure.  We are considering replacing the plastic with a china-bowled unit, however.
1995 National RV Dolphin 533--the Incorrigible
1993 Ford Ranger--not yet named
Mushroom--the ship's cat
http://www.elepent.com

Aug 20 2009, 10:38 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

Luckily, I am able to take just the bowl off. I have not had to go down to the floor level, so not sure if there is a normal wax seal there. I will dig around to see if I can find any pictures of our past toilets, as I am sure that I probably had them apart, and more than likely took pictures :)

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Remote Income E-book packed with Resources

*** NuRVers.com ***