Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Maintenance Reminder - Check Your Electrical Connections
Total Views: 1011 - Total Replies: 2
Jul 01 2009, 6:09 am - By KevsKnight

Just a reminder to check your electrical connections periodically. Lastnight I heard a buzz in the breaker panel when the A/C compressor waskicking on. Reminded me that it had been about a year since my lasttightening session.

The picture below shows the box and my notes on the differentconnectors. It was odd how the "groups" had about the same amount of"looseness". The amount of looseness below is noted in averages forthat group of connectors.

Of note is one of the wires in the neutral bus bar that looks a littlecharred. This happened last year when I found a bunch of theconnections loose. I think I will add to my maintenance notes to checkthis twice a year now. (click for full-sized image)

Don't forget transfer switch, genny connections, and anything else you can get to. These houses go through quite the rattle going down the road.

--kev
1. Be sure to disconnect all power before poking around in the breaker box! by KevsKnight
I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog
Jul 01 2009, 5:38 pm - Replied by: smthng

Thanks for the heads up... I'd never even considered that. 

But while I'm here...  aren't a bunch of those terminals "hot"?  Is it safe to say you have a master breaker elsewhere that's not pictured?

--smthng
http://wegofar.com/
'01 Newmar Dutch Star - No name yet, but my wife calls it the Death Star. :S
'06 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - "Teflon" - has to go away soon. :(

'09 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon - I call it "Little Tiny Baby Jeep That Needs To Grow Up By About Four Inches", but Dasy isn't really happy about that.

'03 Yamaha TW-200 - "Little Tractor"

Jul 01 2009, 8:51 pm - Replied by: KevsKnight

smthng wrote:
Thanks for the heads up... I'd never even considered that. 

But while I'm here...  aren't a bunch of those terminals "hot"?  Is it safe to say you have a master breaker elsewhere that's not pictured?

Yes, good point. What I did was kill the breaker at the park post supply, then turn off my inverter. At that point, there is only 12V running in the coach. That can be killed at the house batteries if needed, but not in this case.

Thanks for making that point. All electrical connections should be disconnected before messing with anything in the breaker box. Unplug from shore power and turn off the inverter (if so equipped). After all that, it is still a good idea to poke the exposed connections with a volt meter to make sure all is off before digging around in there. 120V rushing through your body is not as fun as it sounds.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Remote Income E-book packed with Resources

*** NuRVers.com ***