Welcome Guest Login or Signup
LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Installed a Water Softener
Total Views: 1127 - Total Replies: 1
May 30 2009, 9:50 am - By KevsKnight

I "installed" a new Travelsoft RV1200 water softener today. Actually, the only thing I installed were two quick disconnect fittings on the inlet and outlet so I could hook up my existing water system.

Now the water comes out of the city connection, into a Watts pressure regulator, and into the water softener. There is a pressure gauge on the outlet of the water softener.

Our plumbing fixtures have taken a beating over the past couple of years from always hooking into city water. I have broken off my kitchen faucet sprayer, and have cleaned the bathroom and shower fixtures several times, as well as the shower door many times. We are hoping this will help.

The unit was on sale with Camping World for around $260. It comes complete and ready to go. The instructions were a little ambiguous about the first time use. I figured out that there is no need to add salt for the first use - just a flushing out the first time. I will run it a couple of weeks and then go through the regeneration process. Appears to be pretty simple.

The canister is a bit bulky, so it will be a bit of a pain setting it up each time. I am going to look into building a rack to fit it into my propane compartment. It weighs about 40 pounds when drained.

I did a before and after test with included water hardness strips. It was most impressive to see the difference between the two. The "before" test showed 425+ppm total hardness. After the new softener was installed, it went to 50ppm. I will be curious to see it after the first regeneration.

--kevin

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jun 30 2009, 12:46 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Today I did the first regeneration on the water softener. It has been about a month since I installed it, and this morning I noticed water spots on my shower-shaving mirror. I believe this was my first clue that I waited too long to add salt :(

The process was not too difficult, but kinda sucked in 95 degree heat. It is as simple as doing a backwash first (change lever position, drain from drain valve for a few minutes), fill with salt, let flow at a low rate for about 10-15 minutes until all the saltiness is gone. Hook coach water supply back to softener.

I will run a bit of water in the coach and then test again. I am sure we are soft and silky once again! I will now test every Sunday so that I can get a feel of how long a salt charge will last.

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
FreeCampsites.net - Your source for free camping locations

*** NuRVers.com ***