LIVE CHAT | INSTANT MESSENGER | BOOKMARK

FORUM
Main Forum Index » Nomad, Vagabond, Call Me What You Will
Sub-Forum General Discussions
Topic Recycling
Recycling
Total Views: 1921 - Total Replies: 12
May 05 2009, 12:46 am - By Emmymau

A lot of people have mentioned recycling and how they do it.  We've had some challenges finding local public recycling, depending on where we are--internet resources are not always the best.  I figured a thread in which people contribute knowledge of available recycling based on their travels couldn't hurt...

So far, we know that there's (convenient) public recycling of most items (paper/cardboard, plastic, metal/aluminum, glass are what we consider the "basics") available in:

Austin, TX
Wayne, MI  (suburb of Detroit, also has battery recycling)
Ypsilanti, MI
Nashville, TN

There is NO public recycling (that we were able to find, at least--would love to be corrected if we missed it) in:

Montgomery, AL
Birmingham, AL
Atlanta, GA

Any other experiences?

1995 National RV Dolphin 533--the Incorrigible
1993 Ford Ranger--not yet named
Mushroom--the ship's cat
http://www.elepent.com

LiveWorkDream Fulltime RVing Blog
May 06 2009, 2:18 am - Replied by: Technomadia

Most places in California have ample options for recycling just about everything.  It's not uncommon to go to a public campground and have recylcing bins for plastic, paper and cans. Even our private RV Park in San Francisco had it.

Wish it was easier outside of CA.. it's difficult for us to have room to carry too much trash/recycling to wait to find a way to dispose of it in our preferred manner.  At least cans we can crush and store better until we find a place.

Also, Reno post-Burning Man has public recycling centers set up at a lot of the major grocers. :)

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / Technomads / www.technomadia.com
1961 GM 4106 - Vintage Bus
On the road since 2006 

May 14 2009, 6:18 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Ang asked today why I thought more parks - especially state and federal parks - don't have recycling programs. I figured it probably had to do with cost, and that they wouldn't see much return compared to the amount of work involved. Her point was that it was the responsible thing to do, and that they should do it.

What do you think? Why don't more places have recycling programs - if not for the money, how bout for the future of our existance?

--kev

I have washboard abs. They are just hidden under 50#s of laundry.
Jul 21 2009, 2:48 pm - Replied by: Emmymau

What do you think? Why don't more places have recycling programs - ifnot for the money, how bout for the future of our existance?

I think that's exactly it: there's no money in the future of our existence, ironically.  I envision this changing in the future--at some point someone's going to find a way to make recycling profitable and recycled goods will become a commodity.  Until then...I guess it's up to us civic-minded folks to try and keep SOME of the trash out of the landfills.

Oh, and you can add Salt Lake City UT, Boise ID and Rapid City SD to the list of cities with public recycling facilities, should you choose to seek them out.  SLC and RC's recycling centers are adjacent to the local landfill, and in Idaho we actually visited a recycling center in Nampa (just outside of Boise) that seems to be privately owned, and takes everything except for glass.
Mushroom--the ship's cat

Jul 22 2009, 5:27 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Emmymau wrote:
I think that's exactly it: there's no money in the future of our existence, ironically.  I envision this changing in the future--at some point someone's going to find a way to make recycling profitable and recycled goods will become a commodity.  Until then...I guess it's up to us civic-minded folks to try and keep SOME of the trash out of the landfills.

Unfortunately, I think what will most likely happen is that we are FORCED to recycle because we run out of a resource. I figure that is when electric vehicles will really take off - when we run out of petroleum :(

--kev
Jul 22 2009, 12:49 pm - Replied by: Emmymau

That's the way it so often goes...

Of course, if you're recycling now, that just means it'll (probably) get easier, rather than being an inconvenience!

Mushroom--the ship's cat

Nov 09 2009, 2:39 am - Replied by: Emmymau

In the interest of keeping this list alive--public recycling is available in Las Vegas, just north of town.  And we are still carrying ours with us until we encounter a facility!
Mushroom--the ship's cat

Nov 09 2009, 3:28 am - Replied by: KevsKnight

Adding Moab, Utah, to the list of groovy recyclers!!

Nov 13 2009, 12:39 am - Replied by: LiveWorkDream

We just learned that in Fernley, NV (where I'm working at Amazon this season), there is NO recycling for the entire region. They just lost the service.

If you recall, this is where Burners come to stock up, dump trash, etc., before and after the event. There's going to be a lot of trash next year after BM.

Meanwhile it makes me wonder if Amazon is recycling at all. Hmmm....

Working and Living Our Dream Life
Nov 14 2010, 7:56 pm - Replied by: acoupleofboomers

Just read the post and need to pipe in. We are avid recyclers and being on the road has presented some challenges. 
  A big plus for areas that don't provide easy access for recycling is that Target now has placed containers for plastic, glass, aluminium beverage cans and mp3/cell phones inside all their stores. No metal containers and paper/cardboard yet, but this has been a big help. Seems there's always a Target close. 
  I have found the best way to find a drop off location is to get on the internet to the city or county, find the link to the landfill and call them. If there isn't a drop off there, they typically know.
  But as more and more people that have been recycling for years at home come on the road, the needs will change. But the parks need to know. So we need to ask at every park or CG we go to about recycling. Start a movement. Make people aware that there is a need. 
  Things we can do to help is to once you have figured out where the recycling stations are for a certain area, let the park know. Ask them to add it to the sheet they pass out that has all the rules on it. This could help the next guy out. 
  Utah has been the best state so far for easy recycling. Where we are now, St George which is in Washington County, they have located drop off "Binnies" all over the county. It seems you are never more than 3 miles from a location. They are listed on the counties web site which was easily navigated. In Moab, the park we were in (Okay RV Park) provided there own in park recycling bins.  In Port Aransas TX (which was a difficult state) they have a recycling area at the city dump/transfer station.  
 In Arkansas, outside the city of Mountain View and on the way to the Holiday Mountain Resort there is a drop off location for recyclables. Sherwood Forest RV PArk near Mountain Home provided in park recycling also. 
  So in keeping this tread alive, I post my reply.

it is what it is
Nov 15 2010, 2:52 am - Replied by: TravelingOnTheOutskirts

When I can't find a place, I use  1800recycling.com  :)  Hope that helps....and here I thought I was the only one who worried about recycling while on the road....Cheers! :)
TravelingOnTheOutskirts.com

*** NuRVers.com ***